Switch wiring - Jet 8 X 18 mill

Re: Capacitor questions

Sorry Frank, I should have included the name on the motor in the last post. Also on the motor plate is:

INDUCTION MOTOR
Single Phase Condewser (spelled this way) Run Type
Stanley Electric Works Co. Ltd.

It is a totally enclosed fan cooled motor.

I hadn't hook up the other two way until I heard back from you on the speed. I will do it now.

Jim

Frank, I ran the two other tests. Speed stays the same (low speed) for all four modes but the direction changes. I am not sure of the next step. Should I go to the light bulb tests again or just what? Jim

Frank, I'm getting a little bit confused. To do the wire test this go around V1, V2, X1, X2, and Z are all lose from the switch. I connect my light bulb circuits to them in the order as before but my remaining light bulb lead goes to red. Is red to remain connected to the switch? If so that means that R and S are the only leads connected to the switch. And from there I push buttons for the four modes of operation and note results. Is this correct? Jim

Frank, for direction, low and high speed forward go counter clockwise and low and high speed reverse go clockwise and all four at the same slower speed.

Be sure and see my previous post where I am seeking clarity before doing the bulb tests. Jim

Thanks Frank. It came clear in my mind. I am testing all the respective terminals on the switch and not the wires. Besides the mill the only wires that will be connected to the switch in this test are Red and Black and Red is my connection for W. I will do those tests tomorrow. Jim

Hi Jim One thing you might want to check, maybe we did do it but can't remember. On the High and Low speed switch with no lamps or motor connected nor power. Check continuity between terminals on each switch in both High and Low.

Frank

Hi Frank,

I was away this morning but will begin on all the tests now. When you say, "Check continuity between terminals on each switch in both High and Low," does that mean all terminals with all other terminals. I know that would be a lot of combinations so I checking before I begin to make sure I understand what you want. Also, I don't have access to the back side of the switch that is in the lathe but I could test that side using the spare switch. Please let me know.

Jim

Frank, here is so far on the continuity test on the switch with no wires or power connected:

I have numbered the terminals on the front of the switch and no paid attention to the mill terminals. The are numbered from right to left, top to bottom in the first unit and then the same in the next unit to the left. I'm basically using red as #1. it looks like this:

12 11
10 9 4 3 2 1 (no matter what I do with these numbers in this post, they don't come out in the physical order I intend. Let me know if you need further explanation)
16 15
14 13 8 7 6 5

and my results are:

High Fwd

Red-7

Black-3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15

9-10-11-13-14-15 (I believe all combos of these)

Low Fwd

Red-7

Black-2, 3, 4, 9, 11, 13, 15

5-8 and 2-3

Low Rev

Red-7,4

Black-3, 5, 8, 9, 11, 12

2-4 and 3-8

I will next do the bulb tests.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Frank,

Here are the results of the continuity test as you prescribe:

With only the low speed fwd button pushed, the circiut is closed between:

top right terminal of the 4 under low fwd with each of the following:

terminal directly beside it,
4 terminals to the right of V1,V2, X1, X2
X1
X2

top left terminal of the 4 under low fwd with each of the following:

4 terminals to the right of V1,V2, X1, X2
X2

With the high speed fwd buttons pushed, the circiut is closed between:

top right terminal of the 4 under low fwd with each of the following:

all of the 8 high speed terminals except X1 and X2

top left terminal of the 4 under low fwd with each of the following:

all of the 8 high speed terminals except X1 and X2

Let me know if I covered what you wanted on this test.

Jim

Hi Frank,

My post below is the continuity tests and this post is the light bult tests.

The light bult test is done with one circuit Z-V1-X1 and the other circuit W-V2-X2 with all wires except red and black removed from the switch. My results are as follows:

Low Fwd - X1 and X2 lights
Low Rev - X1 lights
High Fwd - V1 and V2 lights
High Rev - V1 lights

Now with the same as above except X1 now attached to X2 and V1 now attached to V2:

Low Fwd - X1 and X2 lights
Low Rev - no lights
High Fwd - V1 and V2 lights
High Rev - no lights

Looks like these results were quite a bit different with Z disconnected. Does this make more sense now? Have you heard anything from the other board on the motor ID?

Jim

Frank, here are the results of the latest continuity tests of the motor wires:

orange-blue=O
orange-white=5.0
orange-yellow=O
orange-black=1.8
orange-red=O

blue-orange=O
blue-white=O
blue-yellow=23.2
blue-black=O
blue-red=10.3

white-orange=5.0
white-blue=O
white-yellow=O
white-black=3.6
white-red=O

yellow-orange=O
yellow-blue=23.2
yellow-white=O
yellow-black=O
yellow-red=13.2

black-orange=1.8
black-blue=O
black-white=3.7
black-yellow=O
black-red=O

red-orange=O
red-blue=10.3
red-white=O
red-yellow=13.2
red-black=O

The motor wires are actually colored exactly as shown on the switch diagram on page 18 with the addition of ms Cap being red.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Back