[4]

The Hobby-machinist Die Filer

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Mark;

I have seen many of these Scotch Yoke Drives and most were open mechanisms. The yoke itself on mine will be oil-lite Bronze. Drive pin will be SS. I expect no surprises. The sliding bar mechanism, seen earlier, will need constant lubrication of some kind IMHO. Too many surfaces are touching at the same time. The true Scotch Yoke has only a small amount of contact at any given time.

I have seen both in operation and chose the true Scotch Yoke. I also contemplated using a connecting rod but wear ruled it out.

"Billy G"

D

Deleted member 31249

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Since the files cut on the downstroke the chips head right for the top bearing. It is easy to create a shield for this. Mine uses a felt wiper around the shaft for this purpose. There is also a fitting for dust collection.
Bill- you are probably right that the ball bearing would just add another part and not really contribute. Then again, it may prevent wear on the yoke surfaces and keep the tolerances closer (quieter.) Mine did not get noisy until it wore in a little. It's really not too loud though, just a clickety clack.
R
This is what I was wondering. The difference between an open and closed filer. The one I just bought is very old, has a lot of miles on it, But runs completely silently. But the mechanism is in a closed crankcase filled with oil. We had one in the shop I worked in years ago, but I don't remember if it was open or not.

D

Deleted member 31249

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Mark;

I have seen many of these Scotch Yoke Drives and most were open mechanisms. The yoke itself on mine will be oil-lite Bronze. Drive pin will be SS. I expect no surprises. The sliding bar mechanism, seen earlier, will need constant lubrication of some kind IMHO. Too many surfaces are touching at the same time. The true Scotch Yoke has only a small amount of contact at any given time.

I have seen both in operation and chose the true Scotch Yoke. I also contemplated using a connecting rod but wear ruled it out.

"Billy G"
Ahhhh. That explains a lot.
Thanks Bill

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Those prints (rev.5) are spot on. I made a wooden yoke to check. Perfect.

"Billy G" 102_0959 (900 x 598).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Arrived at another stand still, waiting on materials that are a week overdue.

Both upper and lower linear motion shafts are finished here.

"Billy G"

102_0960 (900 x 598).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
It seems we have a Coffee Mug Collector in our ranks. This is the third time he has asked about my cup. I will not mention his name, but here it is in all its glory. Let me know if this offends someone and I will remove it.

"Billy G"102_0961 (900 x 598).jpg

Ken_Shea

Active User
Registered
Looking better and better Bill!
What is the general strokes per minute used in a die filer?

Ken

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
That depends on the Die Filer manufacturer Ken. Mine will hover around 200 SPM. I have see them as low as 50 SPM and up to 300 SPM

"Billy G" .

Ken_Shea

Active User
Registered
With that much variance a variable speed would be a nice addition.
What have you decide on to arrive at your aprox 200spm?

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
DC Gear Motor running at 150 RPM with variable speed. No pulleys, just direct drive thru a coupling.

"Billy G"

Ken_Shea

Active User
Registered
Bill,
Hope you don't mind all the questions.
What is the stroke on die filers, Ive a reason for asking of course.

Ken

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I already answered that one in post #129.

"Billy G"

Ken_Shea

Active User
Registered
I was asking about the "stroke" not SPM, the question was answered from your prints.

Thanks
Ken

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Strokes are all different also Ken. Anywhere from .750 up, mine is 2 inches. Sorry about my mistake.

"Billy G"

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
102_0963 (900 x 598).jpg 303 SS to the rescue. Had an unpolished piece in the Scrap Bin. The "Yoke" is no bullet proof. I am a little out of sorts right now. I may or may not get more done today.

"Billy G"

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
102_0964 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0965 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0966 (800 x 531).jpg With Sophies' pending operation I was having bad thoughts so I turned to the shop.

Got the spindle body done and one bearing in.

"Billy G"

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
102_0967 (900 x 598).jpg Thank you Ken;

I had a few minutes to kill so I did this in the shop. For you new guys it's called "Engine Turning. For the most part it is done wrong. Abrasives are used to make the swirls. This removes a minute amount of surface material and is almost etched into the surface. The correct way is to use only oil and a semi-hard flat circular tool. This burnishes the surface. If you run your finger across the surface you will feel nothing but the flat surface itself. I haven't done this in years but wish to do the Table before Hard Anodize. This cannot be done in a short amount of time and must be completed in one sitting. Yes, I will show you how it's done correctly.

"Billy G"

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
102_0968 (900 x 598).jpg That first try is like a ghost pattern, very faint. I played with it last night and came up with a much better one. I am using a 1 inch diameter birch dowel. The hardest part of Engine Turning is the centers. They need to almost fade into the rest of the circle but still be somewhat pronounced. I have some time this afternoon and will make up the table story board.

Actually the hardest part is knowing you only have one shot at it. You can't go back and properly fix any mistakes. They are there permanently.

"Billy G"

D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
What happened to the Mickey Mug ?:confused 3:
***G***

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
My Grandson took it. :grin big:

"Billy G"

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I finalized the numbers last night. I won't get anything done for a few days as they are moving my wife to the nursing Home for after-care.

Swirl Diameter --- .9375
X-Axis Spacing --- .750
Y-Axis Spacing --- .5625
Swirl Offset --- ..3750

Last edited by a moderator:

Billh50

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Glad to hear the news Bill. Hope she does well and comes home soon.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
This board will ease the pain. I figured everything in and transposed it to this table. At any moment I will know if something is wrong and correct it.

"Billy G"

102_0969 (900 x 598).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
This may not look like a lot but it's almost 20 minutes work. It's called a "Fader Line". It is used to fill in the first row of full "Swirls". There will be one on each edge. All are completed before the "Swirls" are started. They are also just "Half Swirls". Gotta run.

"Billy G"

102_0970 (900 x 598).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
102_0971 (900 x 598).jpg Could not sleep last night. I finished the edges at around 3:00AM. Nothing will get done today. I will not be home till late tonight.

"Billy G"

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I'm optimistic Jim. The last one I did this big was 26 years ago.

"Billy G"

markknx

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Billy Very Nice Work There. Also a grand way to keep your mind occupied. Hope all is going well for you and your wife. I will say another prayer for her.
Mark

[5] [7]