The Voron kit build thread

The screen is optional. :)

When it comes to these SBC's, and the Linux based OS's they use, I'm pretty overwhelmed with info. And lately frustrated by the lack of clear explanations on the internet.

I'm hoping you can clear things up for me.

So, the RaspPi and Orange pi run on a Linux based OS. In the case of the Orange Pi 4 lTS that I bought, it's Debian. Or possibly a Debian variant optimized for the O'pi called Armbian.

So, I see lots of folks using Mainsail, which according to what I'm reading is an OS. So, if I install Mainsail, it overwrites Debian and becomes the computers new OS? Then, I would be installing Klipper, which is essentially a program running on the Mainsail OS?

Or, Is Mainsail not an OS, but another program that runs on the Debian OS?

Klipper can be installed on a Debian SBC, without needing Mainsail?

Then the other programs, such as Fluidd, is a graphical user interface for Klipper?

Then If I'm understanding correctly, Mainsail is the graphical user interface for MainsailOS? Wouldn't having Debian and Mainsail on the same computer be something like a dual boot PC?

Also, most sites are instructing to use a network connection to SSH? Into the Orange Pi and use various command line procedures to install Mainsail (I thought this was an OS:confused:).

So, this has to be done via SSH? I couldn't plug in a mouse, keyboard and monitor and install it from a micro SD card, in the Orange Pi's desktop environment? Like I would from Windows?

Sorry about all of the edits I keep finding sentences that my autocorrect converted to gibberish, on my behalf.

Last edited:
Mainsail, Fluidd and Octoprint are user interfaces that run on an OS. They are not OS's themselves.

There are distribution packages for Mainsail and Octoprint that include Linux for convenience.

If you can install a package like the Mainsail/klipper/raspbian for the pi then ssh might not be needed, but if you are installing things piece by piece a remote terminal like ssh or a remote screen package like vnc will be required.

The advantage of the Raspberry Pi here is the ready-made packages that include OS, Klipper and Mainsail ready to go. Otherwise a sequence of installs and configurations, etc will be required.

Last edited:
If someone has prepared a Mainsail / Klipper / OS package for the Orange Pi, that could be convenient. I would not expect one prepared for the Raspberry Pi to work on the Orange Pi. I haven't looked into the Orange Pi.

If someone has prepared a Mainsail / Klipper / OS package for the Orange Pi, that could be convenient. I would not expect one prepared for the Raspberry Pi to work on the Orange Pi. I haven't looked into the Orange Pi.

Thanks Alan. That clears up a lot.

@Ken226 @AlanB I thought that I shared this link but maybe not. He walks through the installation of Klipper on an Orange Pi with Octoprint and a 5" touchscreen.

@Ken226 @AlanB I thought that I shared this link but maybe not. He walks through the installation of Klipper on an Orange Pi with Octoprint and a 5" touchscreen.

Yes, I remember reading that article earlier. It's the article that set me looking for a touch screen, and further research.

The screen he used in that article is nearly identical to the one I got, but an earlier, generic version of nearly the same screen. I ordered the ver 1.3 sold by Kuman, on Amazon. I noticed a few minor differences in his pic, between the board silkscreen labelling on his board and mine.

It cost twice as much as the unbranded generic version, but Kuman has a support page with instructions and driver downloads for Debian bases operating systems. I also saw on another forum, some users reporting success with the Kuman version, using GPIO, with Raspberry pi and Klipperscreen.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's going to work with Orange PI. I think we're kinda stuck taking some risks going the Orange Pi route. Worst case scenario, I'll end up ordering a Raspberry Pi. :)

Last edited:
I pretty much have the screen housing dialed-in. It fits, and should work.

There is plenty of room now for the GPIO cable, and access to the backlight switch.

I have to make a minor adjustment to the bezel. The inner opening is a little too big on the top and sides, showing about 1/16" past the screen edges.

The new bezel is perfect. Snaps in, holds everything securely and looks good

I also added a version of the bezel with the Voron logo centered on the bottom, to Printables.

1668534832192.png

I'm going to keep the version without the logo, since I already have it printed. Time to print other parts.

Last edited:
I see Orange Pi has a 5 version for preorder. More than needed for Klipper, but good for higher end projects since there is no Raspberry Pi 5.

Back