Toolpost tantrum

My woodwork had always been done with a machinists mentality. I made a collet rack for my extra 5c's from wood. Winter came, now I can't get them out. It took me over 30 years to learn how to build a wood gate that would open in the winter.
Do you mean like possibly putting the block of wood on the plate and laying it out with a scribe? :grin:
P1070950r.jpg

You mean like planing rough-sawn lumber to 0.750" with a digital caliper in your hand? Like I do?

Close. I mean like when I was doing my upstairs with T&G pine and the radial arm saw was out in the detached garage, some boards required 3 trips to the saw.

Close. I mean like when I was doing my upstairs with T&G pine and the radial arm saw was out in the detached garage, some boards required 3 trips to the saw.
yep, yep, that's always the way.
I moved my miter saw onto the back porch when we started on this 're-modelhab' because I got tired of hoofing it out to the shop.
It's been there now for going on (7) years. *GADS* - that's pretty sad now that I've typed it out...

You mean like planing rough-sawn lumber to 0.750" with a digital caliper in your hand? Like I do?
There are annual competitions to see who can make the thinnest shaving (full length, full width) with a hand plane. They measure multiple spots and take the _thickest_ measurement. I understand a winner achieved a 9 micron shaving in Japan (0.009 millimetres)! That's 0.00035 inches.

Craig

I’m in a chicken/egg situation; I have a 4-jaw but need the toolpost to machine it’s backing plate.
I could use the lantern post but I don’t have any 1/4” HSS blanks nor does my local tool store.
So it was sawing for me.
In cruel irony I could have used my angle grinder to make the cuts, but I didn’t trust myself to make an accurate cut.
emoji1787.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You obviously need a second lathe for such conundrums. Or better yet, another lathe AND at least one mill. You'll thank me later. You're welcome in advance.

Tom

A mill is definitely in my sights!
Just trying to make space... too many toys and extraneous junk in my garage.

Dave, there is a phenomenon called the Hobby Shop Equilibrium. Here's how it works:

Buy a mill and figure out the best place to put it in your shop. Move stuff out of that space and put the mill there. The stuff you can't dump will somehow find a new home (where you may never find it again) and the rest will go in the bin. The thing to note is that you do not wait on the mill until you have room; you buy the mill and everything else has to accommodate it. Eventually, things settle into a sort of equilibrium and you become happy! See? :)

Back