Welding table conundrum

Cheapie Klutch for now
That was going to be my plan as well... But found a code, AFLEGS, that gives me the legs kit for free... so 675+130 shipping... and saw this video where the guy makes the clamps for 5.00 each instead of having to pay 25.00 for the ones from Langmuir... So looking at US$805.00 and I will make my own clamps...

I think you are going to like this much better than paying 1/4th to a cheap ass welding cart that winds up holding random **** in your workshop like I did. I have pretty much resigned myself to not buying cheap and buying twice from here on out with this hobby. The cart I have is serviceable, but it is NOT a real welding table. Cant wait to hear your impressions,

If it was me, I'd compare the cost of materials between a diy and a kit. Sometimes the kit price is attractive because they can source materials less expensively than you can. Also consider your use. A welding table takes up space. It also is a magnet for clutter. However, if you are fabricating larger stuff, a nice table makes things a lot easier.

When I was looking into welding tables, there were not many choices. I made my own. Stick welded it outside using 7018. Didn't have a MIG back then. Put slats in the back for plasma cutting. It's on the small side, but it has served my needs for decades. Looking at the table now, I'd change some things, but honestly I can't justify the amount of work needed for what would be a minor improvement.

If it was me, I'd compare the cost of materials between a diy and a kit. Sometimes the kit price is attractive because they can source materials less expensively than you can. Also consider your use. A welding table takes up space. It also is a magnet for clutter. However, if you are fabricating larger stuff, a nice table makes things a lot easier.

When I was looking into welding tables, there were not many choices. I made my own. Stick welded it outside using 7018. Didn't have a MIG back then. Put slats in the back for plasma cutting. It's on the small side, but it has served my needs for decades. Looking at the table now, I'd change some things, but honestly I can't justify the amount of work needed for what would be a minor improvement.
The concern I have with the DIY/Kits is the thickness of the table... that video that I posted, confirmed my suspicion/concerns with the table being too thin and warping with the heat from welding or not being flat right out of the box...

On the ArcFlat, I will install casters on mine to be able to move it around and out of the way when not in use… the type that mount on the side of the legs, to avoid raising it more…

I know I don’t need such a high quality table… Most likely I would have been fine with the Klutch table.... But my wife does not know that :p.

Last edited:
The concern I have with the DIY/Kits is the thickness of the table... that video that I posted, confirmed my suspicion/concerns with the table being too thin and warping with the heat from welding or not being flat right out of the box...

On the ArcFlat, I will install casters on mine to be able to move it around and out of the way when not in use… the type that mount on the side of the legs, to avoid raising it more…

I know I don’t need such a high quality table… Most likely I would have been fine with the Klutch table.... But my wife does not know that :p.
If you forgo the kit route, you can get whatever thickness for your table you want... I used 3/8" plate for the surface, which is ok, but on the thin side. If I were to make another table, I'd use 1/2" instead. My table isn't super flat, but it's "lack of flatness" has never caused an issue. Issues have all been caused by the operator, not the table... My two cents.

Another vote for make your own. $1000 would go all, or most of the way to making something really stout, large enough to be truly useful, and with as many groovy (once a hippie...) features as you like. Plus you get in a bunch of welding practice. Must be at least a thousand videos out there on DIY tables. Good luck with it, whichever route you decide on. Mike

Heck yeah you roll your own! What is the turn key premium for, a bunch of holes? We're hobby machinists, we can make holes. Okay, the Langmuir is cast iron, but do I really want to pay them to face mill the whole table with a 2" cutter, as pictured on their site? No thank you. That's one expensive table. The Certiflats are cheaper, but the prices gobsmacked me even before the pandemic price jack. The way I see it, I could buy a piece of mill finish trench plate for a tabletop and be a thousand times better off than I am on my chitty uneven concrete. There are two local-ish companies selling 4x4 trench plate tables for 1200-1500 bux, that's a bargain compared to these 1/4" pre-punched holey-tops that come in a UPS box. I look and I browse, I ooh and aah, but deep down I can't justify paying that much for a table. Go to the metal yard, man!

Another vote for make your own. $1000 would go all, or most of the way to making something really stout, large enough to be truly useful, and with as many groovy (once a hippie...) features as you like. Plus you get in a bunch of welding practice. Must be at least a thousand videos out there on DIY tables. Good luck with it, whichever route you decide on. Mike
If you forgo the kit route, you can get whatever thickness for your table you want... I used 3/8" plate for the surface, which is ok, but on the thin side. If I were to make another table, I'd use 1/2" instead. My table isn't super flat, but it's "lack of flatness" has never caused an issue. Issues have all been caused by the operator, not the table... My two cents.
As always, thank you for the encouragement. But at 800.00 for the table with legs... I will take the lazy route and get that...

A 1/2"x2'x3' steel plate is almost 400.00 and has no holes... and I will not be able to get the corners/borders made to a perfect 90 degrees... I just know my limitations.

I want the table to be a multi-purpose table. When not welding, it is a great place to assemble stuff... I can also use it to place my drawing table when I am drunk and coming up with ideas...

IMG_8402.jpeg

Yeah, got the book for that... found it locally, well, in Saint Agustine, FL

Ideas.jpeg

At least that is the plan in my head... Most likely it will turn into another surface full of crap... but I am starting with an encouraging plan...

Unless, you have extraordinary needs for this magic table, I'd just make one. Back in ancient times, (the previous millenia!) it was just something that you did. A) You learned how to weld, and B) The next step was to make your own table. I think I spent a day on it. Sketched on a napkin. Went to steel yard, brought home what I could afford. Welded it up. Added steel wheel casters, and was done. It didn't take that long to do. It was fun to make. If you eff, up, cut, grind and weld again. Welding is the ultimate metal glue stick! I welded some wire hooks (1/4" bent in a curve) to the welding table (on the side) hold my grinders and wire wheel tools, very handy to have them near by. I also welded an angle as a Vee at the edge of the table to prevent stuff rolling off. Handy for nubs of TIG wire, or odds and ends, like pencils or metal markers.

Honestly, a welding table doesn't have to be great or anywhere near perfect to be extremely useful. After all, you will end up having to chisel off, or grind off BB's off the surface on occasion. Or take a wire wheel to the surface to clean it up. You will drill and tap holes in the table to clamp things, it is just what you do. Those darn holes are never in the right place, just saying. If you screw up the hole, it doesn't matter, just fill it with weld, and try again. Making your own table is one of those fulfilling projects, at least it was for me.

Can't help you with the surface full of crap problem... Suffer from that too!

I'm with you wachuco, sometimes I just want to make stuff, not "Stuff to make Stuff". I did make my own welding table but frankly is is very crude and I will likely buy one with holes at some point.

Back