Welding table conundrum

Speaking of Quartz countertops...my wife has been a good sport with all of my hobbies. Here is when I re-painted my brake calipers. Most wives I know would have lost it.

tempImagenCI20b.jpgtempImagewGT2da.jpgtempImageJKvrIN.jpg

I'm a bit concerned about your wife, Christian. Is she okay? The only way I could get away with that is if I went full Norman Bates on my wife like he did with his mother in the third movie. (Spoiler alert, he stuffed her and put her in the attic). I'm telling you, that's the only way. Was she on vacation when you took these pictures and you're just pulling our legs?

1/4 X 3 bar stock has worked well for me. Lay it over some saw horses.

I bought two Certiflat 4'x3' tops without the leg kits, since I meant to make my own stand for them. I'm gonna butt them up side by side to have a 4'x6'. If you add their products to the shopping cart and leave them there a couple days, their system automatically sends you a 10% discount code , so I ended up saving the $99 shipping charge.

They say ±0.015" flat over 12", but it is easily flatter than that. The worst offender is along the diagonals. I got maybe an absolute deviation of 0.042" using a 48" straight edge that is straight to ±0.003" IIRC, so that sorta translates into ±0.021" + 0.009" of possible (unknown) deviation of the straight edge=±0.030" total over 5 feet, so on average about ±0.006" per 12". I'd say that's pretty flat. I still need to finish the grand stand that I envision in my head (swiveling/rotating so as to have the top go vertical and save on floor space). Another back-burner project. :)

uc

uc

I‘ve had two certi-flat tables.
For the price point, I think they are amazing. The fit is incredible.
I also have their plasma table.

I bought two Certiflat 4'x3' tops without the leg kits, since I meant to make my own stand for them. I'm gonna butt them up side by side to have a 4'x6'. If you add their products to the shopping cart and leave them there a couple days, their system automatically sends you a 10% discount code , so I ended up saving the $99 shipping charge.

They say ±0.015" flat over 12", but it is easily flatter than that. The worst offender is along the diagonals. I got maybe an absolute deviation of 0.042" using a 48" straight edge that is straight to ±0.003" IIRC, so that sorta translates into ±0.021" + 0.009" of possible (unknown) deviation of the straight edge=±0.030" total over 5 feet, so on average about ±0.006" per 12". I'd say that's pretty flat. I still need to finish the grand stand that I envision in my head (swiveling/rotating so as to have the top go vertical and save on floor space). Another back-burner project. :)

uc

uc
I think you clamped it down ok :)

Got my ****ty weld cart out today to do some TIG welding on a project I’m working on. I’d love to be able to blame the hideous welding on the table but I can’t. Time to watch more YouTube videos and practice more.

I built my own table, I refer to it as a Gunsmith/Machinist/Welding table, 3/8 top, 2 back to back Husky workbench style boxes that are bolted together and bolted to the bottom of the frame. It holds my Machinist tools on the other side and welding tools on this side. I also built a very small table mounted to a semi brake drum just for tig welding small parts.

Attachments

• 20211001_162937.jpg
    20211001_162937.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210922_165733.jpg
    20210922_165733.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 15
I built my own table, I refer to it as a Gunsmith/Machinist/Welding table, 3/8 top, 2 back to back Husky workbench style boxes that are bolted together and bolted to the bottom of the frame. It holds my Machinist tools on the other side and welding tools on this side. I also built a very small table mounted to a semi brake drum just for tig welding small parts.
Very nice multi-use table. love the addition of the tool boxes.

Back