Welding table conundrum

I'm with you wachuco, sometimes I just want to make stuff, not "Stuff to make Stuff". I did make my own welding table but frankly is is very crude and I will likely buy one with holes at some point.
Fair enough, I have way more planned future projects than I have completed past projects even at this point in the game. That means my DIY fetish is actually a disorder. And if it takes two levels of DIY to get to a point where you can make stuff, it can get even more expensive than buying turn key.

Fair enough, I have way more planned future projects than I have completed past projects even at this point in the game. That means my DIY fetish is actually a disorder. And if it takes two levels of DIY to get to a point where you can make stuff, it can get even more expensive than buying turn key.
No, no, it means you have goals, purpose and something to look forward to. But have to agree, sometimes you have to buy, especially if you are busy with other stuff.

That being said, a welding table is a darned good project. What's nice about it is that it doesn't take too long, and it gives you something immediately tangible. It isn't that hard to tack up a frame, then tap it into square and weld it up. You shouldn't weld the top to the frame, rather tack it in place. Any more causes warping, which you don't want. I got casters that were mounted to plates. I just welded the plates to the frame, because none of the holes lined up. Didn't matter, two short beads each and they were attached. This is a less than 1 weekend project, even if stick welding it. High bang for the buck.

A disorder would be buying $30k in machines and tooling with no project that would require said tooling imminent. What kind of a warped basket case would do that?!?! ;)

“That means my DIY fetish is actually a disorder. And if it takes two levels of DIY to get to a point where you can make stuff, it can get even more expensive than buying turn key.”

A disorder would be buying $30k in machines and tooling with no project that would require said tooling imminent. What kind of a warped basket case would do that?!?! ;)

“That means my DIY fetish is actually a disorder. And if it takes two levels of DIY to get to a point where you can make stuff, it can get even more expensive than buying turn key.”
I will line up a several steps behind you...because I do not have quartz countertops in my garage :p;)

Last edited:
I will line up a several steps behind you...because I do not have quartz countertops in my garage :p;)
Was that quartz, or are you going to be corrected that it's actually grass-fed Gibraltar limestone?

So, I've got this Langmuir CNC table that I had to set aside to finish my Nandini project. When I finally unbox it, my first project will be top panels for a welding table. I'ma gonna do the hole pattern in plasma (precise enough for a clamp leg), maybe in 3/8, in two pieces that I'll stitch together with some stiffening braces like the commercial kits. I've had a table for decades that's made of 1/4" receiver tubing (government surplus overkill) but I never got around to replacing the plywood top on. I figure it'll be cheap enough to pay for 1/2 of the cost of the dang Langmuir in cost saved over a commercial certi-shat. (I didn't intend the typo, but left it since I've recently checked their prices.)

Was that quartz, or are you going to be corrected that it's actually grass-fed Gibraltar limestone? :grin big::grin big:

So, I've got this Langmuir CNC table that I had to set aside to finish my Nandini project. When I finally unbox it, my first project will be top panels for a welding table. I'ma gonna do the hole pattern in plasma (precise enough for a clamp leg), maybe in 3/8, in two pieces that I'll stitch together with some stiffening braces like the commercial kits. I've had a table for decades that's made of 1/4" receiver tubing (government surplus overkill) but I never got around to replacing the plywood top on. I figure it'll be cheap enough to pay for 1/2 of the cost of the dang Langmuir in cost saved over a commercial certi-shat. (I didn't intend the typo, but left it since I've recently checked their prices.)

I can read between the lines and understand subliminal messages.... So what you are saying is that I should buy the Langmuir CrossFire Pro CNC Plasma table first and use that to make my own welding table.... Brilliant! Why did I not think of that!!?? :grin big::grin big:

Focus Wachuko, Focus...

I can read between the lines and understand subliminal messages.... So what you are saying is that I should buy the Langmuir CrossFire Pro CNC Plasma table first and use that to make my own welding table.... Brilliant! Why did I not think of that!!?? :grin big::grin big:

Focus Wachuko, Focus...

Sometimes the right answer is just right there in front of you..

Focus Wachuko, Focus...
You read me Lima Charlie, Mista 'Chuko!

Back