What Did You Buy Today?

As far as size, get whatever you can conveniently handle. I prefer larger tanks- better pricing, fewer trips to the supplier, and fewer Sunday work stoppages from running out. In my opinion, an 80 is a very small tank and the 125 would be much better. Among my tank collection I've got a pair of 325s, and they need a truck to move, but 125-250 is reasonable for dragging around the shop on a cart.

As far as size, get whatever you can conveniently handle. I prefer larger tanks- better pricing, fewer trips to the supplier, and fewer Sunday work stoppages from running out. In my opinion, an 80 is a very small tank and the 125 would be much better. Among my tank collection I've got a pair of 325s, and they need a truck to move, but 125-250 is reasonable for dragging around the shop on a cart.
Thank you. I will get one of each on Monday. (1) 100% Argon for TIG and (1) mixed for MIG

There's an Airgas branch right smack in the middle of Ocala, stop by and pick one up!

The cheap grinders aren't bad, they're just noisy and vibrate like crazy. I've got one or two that I keep set up with different discs. My dad likes to buy them, wear them out, and toss 'em. I prefer Bosch if I'm going to spend any amount of time with one, but I'm most likely to be on my back running it overhead for an hour at ago. But for dirty duty like wire wheel and flap disc, they get it done without much issue.
I like a brand that is no longer in business, so I buy sait's now. The old brand had flexible grinding discs and was great for blending.

Cheap grinders are great. I have many, and the more expensive are moderately better than the cheap. I cut my cords and love it. Much nicer than fighting the mess of cords.

Got loose at an auction:

PXL_20230820_185034086.jpg
PXL_20230820_185025272.jpg

PXL_20230820_185053373.jpg

I know it's a later model Wilton vice but it's USA made and was only $45 which is a good price in my book. The grinder came on a stand and i bought it off another guy who said it didn't work and was smoking when he tried to power it on. I bought it off him for $20 wanting the wheel and sharpening jig. Got it home and took off the guard side panels as the wire wheel is mounted a bit janky and was hitting it when spinning by hand - it fires up and runs nice and quiet - takes a long time to spin down. If i keep the wire wheel on there it needs a proper bushing instead of what it has.

Agree, however an 80 is an industry recognized customer owned bottle, which means that you can get it filled or exchanged at ANY gas supplier.

Well bushings went well for the wire wheel but it was a bit tight for the grinding wheel so I "tapped" it in! :oops:

Lesson learned. I was trying to get the wheel tighter than the plastic bushings.... Fixing a problem that didn't need fixing :(

Attachments

• PXL_20230820_214454391.jpg
    PXL_20230820_214454391.jpg
    784.6 KB · Views: 9
Got loose at an auction:

View attachment 457483
View attachment 457482

View attachment 457484

I know it's a later model Wilton vice but it's USA made and was only $45 which is a good price in my book. The grinder came on a stand and i bought it off another guy who said it didn't work and was smoking when he tried to power it on. I bought it off him for $20 wanting the wheel and sharpening jig. Got it home and took off the guard side panels as the wire wheel is mounted a bit janky and was hitting it when spinning by hand - it fires up and runs nice and quiet - takes a long time to spin down. If i keep the wire wheel on there it needs a proper bushing instead of what it has.
I have that same vise in safety yellow. It’s a beast.

John

I was missing a set of very thin parallels... ordered one.
I have a 1/2" diamond tool holder set for the Logan but wanted a 5/8" set for the Grizzly... so ordered that from Eccentric Engineering in Australia, along with a few spare bits.

Back