What Did You Buy Today?

I was high bidder on two nice Starrett tools at an auction last night.
They are about 140 miles from here but my brother lives just a few miles away from there so he will pick them up for me.
This brand is like Sara Lee pastries aren't they?
Nobody doesn't like Starrett tools

Attachments

• 220916145_750x473_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF.jpeg.jpg
    220916145_750x473_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF.jpeg.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 220916270_750x473_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF.jpeg.jpg
    220916270_750x473_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF.jpeg.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 25
Got two 80 tanks today. Found them on FB Marketplace as the local Airgas did not have any for sale, only exchange….

Good thing is that I paid for both what I would have paid for one… and they are full.

IMG_2538.jpeg

Both 2023 certified . One 100% Argon and the other is 75/25

IMG_2539.jpeg

IMG_2540.jpeg

Last edited:
Got two 48' trailers recently, and got my neighbor to help me out with his Peterbuilt tractor. The tractor trailer combo is around 70', and my bridge sits at a slight angle in the driveway. His first attempt at getting across pretty much showed us it was a no go. He backed up the rig and I snuck around him with the backhoe, and used it to lift the back end of the trailer which left me unable to steer because of the load on the machine. So after a little palaver we determined we had to move simultaneously so I would be able to steer and move the trailer sideways as we went forward. Once across the bridge he performed a pretty slick intentional jackknife move to get where we needed to go. The second one made it across the bridge with no assistance as the trailer axles were farther forward, but it had to go around the island by the new shop, and then up a steep jeep trail to the other house. This involved three separate lifts on the trailer with the hoe, and then had to get around the truck and assist him up the hill, past the house so he could back it in where it needed to be. Working on filling them up now. Will post some pics of the second operation when my wife sends them to me. Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    562.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0521.JPG
    IMG_0521.JPG
    998.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    952.8 KB · Views: 49
Got two 48' trailers recently, and got my neighbor to help me out with his Peterbuilt tractor. The tractor trailer combo is around 70', and my bridge sits at a slight angle in the driveway. His first attempt at getting across pretty much showed us it was a no go. He backed up the rig and I snuck around him with the backhoe, and used it to lift the back end of the trailer which left me unable to steer because of the load on the machine. So after a little palaver we determined we had to move simultaneously so I would be able to steer and move the trailer sideways as we went forward. Once across the bridge he performed a pretty slick intentional jackknife move to get where we needed to go. The second one made it across the bridge with no assistance as the trailer axles were farther forward, but it had to go around the island by the new shop, and then up a steep jeep trail to the other house. This involved three separate lifts on the trailer with the hoe, and then had to get around the truck and assist him up the hill, past the house so he could back it in where it needed to be. Working on filling them up now. Will post some pics of the second operation when my wife sends them to me. Mike
I have an old Trailer Train rail car that I use for a bridge. It was designed to carry two 40' trailers, and is 8' 6" between the rails. I made sure that there was 100' of straight approach on either end. We run loaded log trucks over it regularly. It is amazing how precise a good truck driver can be when going through a tight spot!

Yes, a longer straight stretch before the bridge would have been ideal. When I built the bridge 40 some years ago it's placement was somewhat constrained by the location of the creek, and the guy I hired to cut the upper part of the road had his own idea about It's design. Came home from work and it was pretty much there, but over all it's worked out well and have had some pretty large stuff come over the bridge including quite a few loaded concrete trucks, dump trucks, etc.. So I guess in the end, all's well that ends well, even if it includes a few butt puckering moments. Mike

I made sure that there was 100' of straight approach on either end. We run loaded log trucks over it regularly. It is amazing how precise a good truck driver can be when going through a tight spot!

Yes, a longer straight stretch before the bridge would have been ideal. When I built the bridge 40 some years ago it's placement was somewhat constrained by the location of the creek, and the guy I hired to cut the upper part of the road had his own idea about It's design. Came home from work and it was pretty much there, but over all it's worked out well and have had some pretty large stuff come over the bridge including quite a few loaded concrete trucks, dump trucks, etc.. So I guess in the end, all's well that ends well, even if it includes a few butt puckering moments. Mike
Mike, I really like that area that you are living in. You have a great setup.

I'm kind of a fly fishing nut and have crawled around from Kremmling over to the flat tops and all points north to the state line. My heart has a special place for fishing up on Rabbit Ears and the Yampa, it is where I taught my son to read water and fly fish.

I'm envious.

A bunch of “while stock lasts” Facom pliers, files, and file handles.

Now that Facom has been acquired by Stanley, a lot of the “Made in France” -stuff has been discontinued.

Luckily there is still SAM Outillage. They’re independent AFAIK.

Back