What Did You Buy Today?

Been awhile since I've drug anything home. Interesting little power hacksaw, wilton drill press, and a little 5 ton hydraulic press. Never cared for the production table drill presses but couldn't say no for the price.
54a2a92a0ed6b815569cf5f2f18efada.jpg
dd1c293000544fbc5b9c3a11ce9726cf.jpg
adff0469d5f7fa2744bb01e9a3bd4838.jpg

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Been awhile since I've drug anything home. Interesting little power hacksaw, wilton drill press, and a little 5 ton hydraulic press. Never cared for the production table drill presses but couldn't say no for the price.
54a2a92a0ed6b815569cf5f2f18efada.jpg
dd1c293000544fbc5b9c3a11ce9726cf.jpg
adff0469d5f7fa2744bb01e9a3bd4838.jpg

Should we get the "You Suck!" image ready? Or are you going to leave us guessing??

I love the looks of the press and the hacksaw... works of art...

Should we get the "You Suck!" image ready? Or are you going to leave us guessing??

I love the looks of the press and the hacksaw... works of art...
Yes. The hacksaw is pretty cool, it works rather well after changing the wiring. The press is interesting also...it works but I will rebuild the cylinder as it leaks and the spring to retract the ram isn't connected. It's inside there still, I took the top off. I also was given the prints for the press. Neither the press or the saw seem like common items as I couldn't find much info. It's usually these odd items that peak my interest and come home with me

Got the wheel set for when I make the 2"x72" sander.... 5", 4", (2) 2"

View attachment 457711
Pardon my stupidity, (too much sun?) but can't you make those parts on your lathe? They're roundy things, right? Do they have special bearings? It's hard for me to tell through the wrapping.

Pardon my stupidity, (too much sun?) but can't you make those parts on your lathe? They're roundy things, right? Do they have special bearings? It's hard for me to tell through the wrapping.
Oh, indeed they are. Roundy and aluminium-y. And all under 8" diameter, at that.

But sometimes I can't turn them as cheaply as a barefoot chinese kid can. I hope it's enough to get him some proper shoes.

Oh, indeed they are. Roundy and aluminium-y. And all under 8" diameter, at that.

But sometimes I can't turn them as cheaply as a barefoot chinese kid can. I hope it's enough to get him some proper shoes.
Fair enough, raw material cost here vs imported machined goods imported and shipped from China. Dunno, how it's so much cheaper, though. Has to be some sort of subsidies involved.

Fair enough, raw material cost here vs imported machined goods imported and shipped from China. Dunno, how it's so much cheaper, though. Has to be some sort of subsidies involved.
Well, maybe subsidies. There's also economy of scale, and cheap labor.

Even if these guys are buying the aluminum in 20' sticks, and not paying a cut fee it's cheaper already.

(I learned that, when I tried to order a 6' 1-1/2" hot rolled round. The guy just said to take the whole bar, it was cheaper than paying the single cut charge for 6 feet.)

I look at making things that I can buy made in this country too. Often the guys tooled up for even a hundred of something can do it way cheaper I can in single quantity numbers.

2x72 belt grinders are pretty common. Not toothbrush common, but there's a lot of them out there, so I'm not surprised the kit is cheap .

Back