What Did You Buy Today?

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I can't see how anyone could patent a wrench thats been around for 50 years .
Haha seriously. I have seen so many different sellers on ebay selling these claiming to be the original maker for them. There even used to be 2 sellers that listed each others ebay names stating the other guy was selling copies/fakes. Seems like all the sellers eventually stop selling/making them & new sellers/makers later pop up. They all just change the shape slightly.

At least Edge Technology tried to be a bit more innovating & added a locking thumbscrew & magnet for storage.

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
Everything I " store " eventually gets lost . :bawling: But cleaning up once in a while cheers me up , I find brand new stuff that was lost ! :laughing:

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Haha! I'm usually pretty good at not loosing things in my home shop. I "put away" my only 5/8" carbide end mill once & couldn't find the damn thing. I was starting to think that I was crazy & never had one. Eventually I bought another one. Then over 2 yrs later I found it in my box of acid brushes. How it got in there I have no idea to this day.

I've never seen where the magnet is on the Edge speed handle but I think it' s on the back just so you can stick the handle onto something metal when not in use. I just leave my handle on the vise. Mine fits tight & doesn't slide around, it has never rattled off. I like it that way.

mmcmdl

Staff member
Will , just had a LOL reading an old thread of yours . It ended up us talking about Kroil and Knockerloose . I probably can't find it again , but it was a good one . :big grin:

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
I don't remember a Kroil thread. Had to go search for it & found it. Haha. Man there must be so many threads over the years that I don't remember at all. I'm sure I'm not the only one. :D

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Halfheimers, and it has something to do with TMB. :grin:

mikey

Global Moderator
Staff member
Looks unused. Love the color case hardening Starrett did back in the day.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Found this old RF-115 model saw.
A bit rough but for $100 I thought why not.
View attachment 314716
Nice score. I had an Enco branded RF-128, not sure what the difference is with the RF-115 but it looks similar. I also paid $100 but I got lucky & mine was in really nice condition. You did well, should clean up nice. I've seen HF saws in much worse condition go for much more than $100 around here.

It was a great saw that I miss. Lots of mods people have done on these & they still make em so parts shouldn't be an issue if you ever need. Here's one thread that I started to give you ideas but there are other threads here too.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member

Bi11Hudson

Artificer00
Ordered, should arrive in a day or three. I don't know if they are 5C or R8, I suspect R8. Didn't really need them though they can be used. But it looked like a good price, too good to pass up. $12 bux, what can I say?
R8-5C.jpg

Titanium Knurler

Ordered, should arrive in a day or three. I don't know if they are 5C or R8, I suspect R8. Didn't really need them though they can be used. But it looked like a good price, too good to pass up. $12 bux, what can I say?
View attachment 314740

Looks like R8 to me. Amazing price, just over a buck piece!

Winegrower

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Congrats, Ulma Dr. I tried really hard to find a Victor 1640, but no luck. Please post some about this as you get going?

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Platinum Supporter
Congrats, Ulma Dr. I tried really hard to find a Victor 1640, but no luck. Please post some about this as you get going?
hi @Winegrower,
this lathe came up a couple times when i was searching, then it would disappear-
it came up again with a lower price, so i took half a day off work to go and view it .
i'll be sure to post pics and projects.

wow, congrats! How many lathes is that now? If you ever need to make space..... :)
Hi Matt,
thank you very much!
that makes (EDIT: ) 10 lathes and 2 Unimats (if you wanna call them lathes)
i had to get rid of something (my shopsmith :() as a prerequisite for acquiring another piece of equipment.

my rule now (as hard as it was to swallow),
is to sell or donate a piece of equipment, BEFORE i purchase another machine for which i can't live without any longer

Last edited:

Joeman77

Found this old RF-115 model saw.
A bit rough but for $100 I thought why not.
View attachment 314716
Good Find!
I had one very similar for years, cut a lot of material with it, until I got the itch for something bigger & better. But thinking back a few years (of course after I got rid of the old one) I'm not sure bigger is always better, sometimes just more expensive to feed!

Ianagos

Active User
Registered
my rule now (as hard as it was to swallow),
is to sell or donate a piece of equipment, BEFORE i purchase another machine for which i can't live without any longer
I just made my self a similar rule. But selling is so difficult and I keep seeing good deals...

Picked up something else for the shop...
As you can see not much space as it is.

I want to buy a 5 axis trunnion for my mill next.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Got me a couple of more new indexable tools. Well I already have these same exact ones, just got tired of swapping inserts for different materials. I have doubles for my other most used tools, these were the last ones that I wanted for doubles.

20200226_173216.jpg

My doubles
20200226_173041.jpg

Ebay score on some rolls of tape. Yeah I know, just tape but this 3M speciality tape costs $50 a roll in this size. Always wanted a roll this size but no way I was going to pay that much for one. Found an odd listing for $11 shipped a roll. Listing title matched, but the description was for ziplock baggies, & the description details said 1" wide instead of 2". Same seller had another odd listing but 5 rolls for $33 shipped. Took a chance & bought the 5 rolls for $33, sure enough they were the right ones. Woohoo!

20200226_172508.jpg

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
They're in another drawer in indexes, they only make holes though. ;) The other few went with the mini lathe to my lil brother. I think the only tools I have now that mount on my tool post with HSS are my knurling tools, the rest not pictured are all carbide too. nana.gif grin.gif

mikey

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well now, Will, we have to fix that for sure. You think those carbide tools are all that, eh? One of these days we need to put our heads together to see what you need and I'll grind some tools for you to try. Then we'll see ...

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Most of what I make on the lathe is titanium so yes, for that I won't bother with HSS. I tried them on Ti didn't last long. I'm also not that experienced with grinding tool bits. The few HSS tools I had I made at the local community college on their grinder. My bench grinder at home sucks but I do have a somewhat decent belt grinder now. I keep telling myself I may try HSS again for aluminum but I guess I'm too lazy. Really I have no interest. I actually bid on a lot of NOS Latrobe blanks not too long ago but went for more than I wanted to pay. I have so many inserts that I have paid $1-$3 ea when there were crazy deals on ebay that I seriously may not have to buy inserts for my most used tools for the next 20+ yrs.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock