What Did You Buy Today?

It looks to be a mount for a chip shield.

Bruce

P.s. I googled "warco gh600" and went to their site. The compound takes a turret style tool holder. Looks like the chip shield can slide on the compound some and flip back out of the way.

That’s correct, it’s for a chip shield. I’ll be taking that off as it just seems to get in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Ben17484
Congratulations on the new lathe.

What is the function of the collection of parts attached on the operator side of the compound slide? I don't recognize that.

Thanks.

I’ve had a couple of lathes in the past with my most recent being an old smart and brown south bend clone. As a very new person to the hobby, I wanted to get a lathe that would lower the barrier for learning. To me, that meant having easily changed feeds and a gearbox that allowed east threading. This lathe can do a bunch of metric and imperial threads straight from the gearbox (with the 127 gear change being required) and a large range of feed speeds. Changing change gears to someone who doesn’t get a lot of time in the workshop Is a time consuming way to learn the best feed speeds for different materials and diameters etc.

I also wanted a new lathe from a company I could trust (Warco are the UKs version of Precision Matthews id say) where i knew the lathe was capable of of what I’ll be trying to attempt on it (I.e if the part didn’t turn out as I’d expect I’d know I was the problem rather than the machine).

First job is to get my AXA QCTP mounted, then a DRO and then to making things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The local alloy supplier's owner sold out and retired (after 60 years of running it). The place promptly lost their contracts with Ratheon, Honeywell, etc. Probably because it was purchased by an "investment firm" aka one dude that I'm not sure really knows what he's doing. They're just planning on stocking (and I quote) "steel and stainless". This place carried all kinds of weird stuff like sizeable berillium copper and like 20" 8620 bar stock. As well as 1144, 12L14, D2, and other stuff. No one is buying that stuff so I told them I'd keep coming back until i had all of it. I have my eye on 12' of 1144 2", and a couple 4' pieces of 3" D2. But i grabbed these yesterday

20231011_171016.jpg
42" of 10" diameter 7075, and about 6.5' of ground and polished 4140. Not a bad snag for a couple hundred!

My wife is off work all week so we spent the day today 'junking'... visiting antique malls. We didn't buy much, but I did come home with a few items...

A pair of tin snips, made by Wiss and a pair of cutters, also made by Wiss...

20231011_191157.jpg

An ash shovel from a fireplace set that will be repurposed to shovel chips out of the chip pans on my lathes...

20231011_191036.jpg

A Skil model 77 saw... it seems to be in very good mechanical condition, just needs a good cleaning...

20231011_190414.jpg

And a brass desk lamp...

20231011_190831.jpg

I spotted the brass lamp sticking out the top of a trash can near the cash register in one store, so I asked how much it would cost me to rescue it... the cashier said it was free. Free is 'free enough'... I'll likely convert it to LEDs and mount it on a lathe.

-Bear

I'm not sure why I've been putting this purchase off. I guess I never really looked at the price. Been using logging chains for most things, but this darned lathe was too top heavy without cinching on the ways on each side of the bed. The CG was just slightly above the bottom of the bed. With a block under the ways it wanted to go over.

The straps were $12 ea, and the shackle was $13. That's basically free, compared to dropping something heavy!

IMG_20231011_173305028.jpg

I'm not sure why I've been putting this purchase off. I guess I never really looked at the price. Been using logging chains for most things, but this darned lathe was too top heavy without cinching on the ways on each side of the bed. The CG was just slightly above the bottom of the bed. With a block under the ways it wanted to go over.

The straps were $12 ea, and the shackle was $13. That's basically free, compared to dropping something heavy!

View attachment 462399
A good assortment of lifting slings is essential gear....

Yesterday‘s haul! A decent Sears Craftsman 10” table saw from 1997 and the real jewel a mint 1970 Rockwell Delta 28-300 metal and wood band saw all for the ridiculous price of $85. Guy was tired of looking at it and taking up space and just wanted it out of his garage and sight! I gladly obliged!

IMG_6626.jpeg
IMG_6638.jpeg

Both run great and even the two speed clutch works on the band saw after applying some penetrating oil to the shaft. He included 7 band saw blades as well as belts which were worth the price by themselves! I did make a pull knob for the bandsaw clutch shaft out of an old, no good, 6” pulley. I’ll polish it up and leave it for now.
IMG_6640.jpegIMG_6635.jpeg

Last edited:
Back