What Did You Buy Today?

How does a Halon extinguisher work? Can you repressurize with air or nitrogen?
Halon extinguishers are just filled with Halon. Halon is an oxygen displacer, similar to what CO2 does.
The problem is Halon was/is highly damaging to the ozone layer, much like original freon.

You could fill it with whatever you want as long as you don't exceed the limits of the container.
Nitrogen would be fun but the cylinder would get extremely cold, extremely fast and possibly compromise the integrity of the vessel, if the vessel held in the first place. Halon is a liquid at around 70PSI. Nitrogen, MUCH higher

It’s sloshing around in there. From what I’ve read they are pressurized with nitrogen at 100psi.

There is a company in Ohio that buys and sells Halon, it’s still required for aircraft apparently.

I’ll either give this one back to the seller, or maybe give a call to these folks to figure out options.

John

It’s sloshing around in there. From what I’ve read they are pressurized with nitrogen at 100psi.

There is a company in Ohio that buys and sells Halon, it’s still required for aircraft apparently.

I’ll either give this one back to the seller, or maybe give a call to these folks to figure out options.

John
Halon recycling is a big deal. If you only have $30 into both of them, you should be able to sell them for a good profit!

John
Some versions are still used in industry, but are not as environmentally friendly as newer, significantly more expensive alternatives. Other formulas are hazardous. However, back in the 90’s when Asbestos brake pads/linings were dropped for cars they were still used on aircraft as Asbestos has less fade and is more reliable than fiberglass or Kevlar. Ceramic may have replaced Asbestos by now.

All of us are old enough to have played with asbestos, mercury, lead and Freon. Raise your hand if you have not... I'm not worried about a little Halon!
Looks like Halon is a gas at room temp so you really cannot repressurize. It must have leaked out.

All of us are old enough to have played with asbestos, mercury, lead and Freon. Raise your hand if you have not... I'm not worried about a little Halon!
Looks like Halon is a gas at room temp so you really cannot repressurize. It must have leaked out.
Halon wasn't banned because it was unsafe. It was banned for the damage it caused to the ozone layer.

Here’s the bottle in question.

IMG_3645.jpeg

There’s definitely “something” sloshing around inside. There’s nothing sloshing around in the other one so I’ll definitely be taking it back.

John

Had a bit of a wander around my little local flea market shop (aka 'tut' shop) more in hope than expectation but found this for £8:

20231224_133345.jpg20231224_133523.jpg
Bit sticky but a bit of penetrating oil should sort that out.

Also got these for a tenner:

20231224_133643.jpg
Both need cleaning up but they're nice little tools.

Back