What Did You Buy Today?

I saw the cordless drill gear driven sheet metal shears on some forum. My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I said that. Opened it today, and it shears aluminum flashing fine, when I tried it on roofing metal (what the video demonstrated it on) shaft wobbled and gears slipped. It also came with a T handle that is not in the instructions and seemingly fits nothing on earth. Not sure what ebay brand this is. Anybody experienced a good one?

Looks very similar to my 3k, but probably 11,000 lbs instead of 8000. Any idea of what year?

I need to double check the serial, but when I got it a year and half ago, I downloaded the manual and info I could find on Vintage Machinery site.

It looks like I highlighted September, 1943 for year.

And the chart says it’s weighs in at 7850 pounds. Man, I thought it was heavier, especially how sore I am two days later after getting it into the shop.

It been sitting outside under plastic and tarps since I got it home. I had run a temp cord to it to test it, and it stuggled to start, but that’s due to my current power supply. It’s a bit on the small side. I may think about finding a 5 Hp or 7 Hp motor to make it better, but not sure yet .

So I did have to hear it run again last night. I have some issues to sort out. The magnetic relay is not working, so I had to manually engage the relay. I finally got the motor spinning, and tested out a few things, til my circuit breaker tripped again.

One thing I was happy with though, my 10 Hp rotary phase converter did start this 10 Hp motor, when I finally put it neutral. So maybe I might be able to keep it 10hp. Just need to upgrade wiring and circuit breakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the chart says it’s weighs in at 7850 pounds. Man, I thought it was heavier, especially how sore I am two days later after getting it into the shop.
According the vintagemachinery.org brochure matching the year of mine, the 1944 3K vertical weighs 8800 lbs. Since they appear to be exactly the same design, I have to believe the larger 4H can't weigh less the 10,000. Make sure you're looking at a reprint with the movable head, slightly earlier and the verticals didn't have ways on the head, I have to imagine that adds considerably to the weight.

Check to be sure you get the phases wired correctly to spin the motor in right direction according to the arrow on the motor pulley, before engaging the clutch. Apparently something in the mechanism doesn't tolerate running backwards well. Can't remember what but do remember that is an issue.

Consider starting a thread in the Kearney & Trecker sub-forum tracking your work on this machine.

Last edited:
According the vintagemachinery.org brochure matching the year of mine, the 1944 3K vertical weighs 8800 lbs. Since they appear to be exactly the same design, I have to believe the larger 4H can't weigh less the 10,000. Make sure you're looking at a reprint with the movable head, slightly earlier and the verticals didn't have ways on the head, I have to imagine that adds considerably to the weight.

Check to be sure you get the phases wired correctly to spin the motor in right direction according to the arrow on the motor pulley, before engaging the clutch. Apparently something in the mechanism doesn't tolerate running backwards well. Can't remember what but do remember that is an issue.

Consider starting a thread in the Kearney & Trecker sub-forum tracking your work on this machine.

I may be wrong, but I think the 'H' machines are all smaller than the 'K' machines...

A 4H vertical weighs in around 8850 lbs... a 4K is around 14000 lbs...

-Bear

@682bear & @toprecyler
It appears Bear is correct. Digging around more on vintagemachinery.org I finally found this spec sheet.

From the numbers there, the 3K and 4H vertical are very similar sized machines. The weight is nearly identical, with the 4H having a 10" more table length but fewer feed and spindle speed choices. I'd guess they are both built on the same frame castings except for the table.

Somewhat confusing as there appears to be a earlier version with a fixed head that was sold in both "3 Standard" and "4 Heavy", in which the heavy version was definitely heftier than the standard. The later H designation wasn't consistent with that standard/heavy nomenclature (??). Early marketing games?

Last edited:
@682bear & @toprecyler
It appears Bear is correct. Digging around more on vintagemachinery.org I finally found this spec sheet.

From the numbers there, the 3K and 4H vertical are very similar sized machines. The weight is nearly identical, with the 4H having a 10" more table length but fewer feed and spindle speed choices. I'd guess they are both built on the same frame castings except for the table.

Somewhat confusing as there appears to be a earlier version with a fixed head that was sold in both "3 Standard" and "4 Heavy", in which the heavy version was definitely heftier than the standard. The later H designation wasn't consistent with that standard/heavy nomenclature (??). Early marketing games?

The 1H (horizontal) was the smallest mill that K&T made... the next size up was the 2HL which was identical to the 1H except for a longer table. The 2H was next with a bigger frame, then 3H, 4H, etc... the K series was heavier duty overall. The 'H' was just a series designation and did not denote 'heavy'...

At least that is my understanding... I'm no expert, but I did some research back when I was looking for a horizontal mill.

I would love to have a mill like the one the OP has... but I would have to lay it down to get it in my basement shop... I only have about 78 inches height on my rollup door...

-Bear

At least that is my understanding... I'm no expert, but I did some research back when I was looking for a horizontal mill.
In addition to having a 3k, the K&T factory in MIlwaukee was a landmark I remember as a kid when driving into town to visit my grandmother. It was a huge glass walled warehouse, really distinctive. As a kid I always wondered what they did there. So while I don't know much about them in general, I can very easily be prodded into digging into it.

I bought some rechargeable AAA batteries from a small company called Lahden Akku-Ässä (Bay’s Battery Ace).

IMG_1664.jpeg

The order was picked within six minutes of the automatic order confirmation and is now with the courier :eek 3:

Back