What Did You Buy Today?

Part of the Sunnen haul. Marquette and Sun machines. Both filthy. No idea if they work yet. Love the cabinets they came with. The Sun has a nice cast sign that came with it.

IMG_20240309_154549900.jpgIMG_20240309_154609342.jpg

That, good sir, is a term I have not heard in over 25 years!

Anyhoozle, decided to drop on a TDI with a 14T, 15T & 16T gear. I only needed the 14T since already have the 15T & 16T TDI's, but it was cheaper to buy this set, than just a 14T. Odd how that works out, however just means I have them when I need them and I can sell the 15T & 16T gears on from this "set".

View attachment 480764

I also dropped on a book. Should give me something to peruse when I have nothing else to do or need to reference an insert or two.

View attachment 480765
For interest sake...what is the pitch on your leadscrew? I had to build my own TDI for my lathe with a 12mm pitch. Also I had the tedious job of working out which gear to make for which pitch of thread to cut. At the end the gears needed was 14,15,16 of which the 15 is used the most. I can post some pics of the build,but I never got around to posting the build...if you are interseted. There is is a post on here of the planning stages though. Also for me to explain how I got to the numbering on the dial after all this time will be difficult. I also changed it a few times(don't ask me why),but it works. I will post pics if you want to see them.

Michael

Picked up a lathe today from @Oldseabee
His 13” Clausing Colchrster. All wedged into my garage.

Edit: it is a model 6527
227100143dfa04fe9c6bed569f89c5a0.jpg

e02fc2009c4dfd3fb4f052f228bab919.jpg

c52dbfe10a3c1b5ea320509ae9e998f2.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.
That is a sexy looking piece of iron, from back when machines looked good.

For interest sake...what is the pitch on your leadscrew? I had to build my own TDI for my lathe with a 12mm pitch. Also I had the tedious job of working out which gear to make for which pitch of thread to cut. At the end the gears needed was 14,15,16 of which the 15 is used the most. I can post some pics of the build,but I never got around to posting the build...if you are interseted. There is is a post on here of the planning stages though. Also for me to explain how I got to the numbering on the dial after all this time will be difficult. I also changed it a few times(don't ask me why),but it works. I will post pics if you want to see them.

Michael

At the moment? The leadscrew is metric on my SC3. TDI is a 16T. Not overly worried, it is doing what I need it to do. Soon as I get my other lathe rebuild finished, the SC3 will vanish either into a cupboard or out the door to a new owner.

I have a 14/15/16T set of gears on the way for my other lathe so I have 3 different TDI ready to fit as/when needed since I already have three TDI bodies. Just need one more dial and I will be all set.

Finger sanders are quite useful as it happens. Even getting the belts is easy, especially since I don't have to bother gluing mine, I can acquire them ready to fit.

Here's my Sunnen and the assortment that came with it. Picked it up this winter and haven't touched yet.

Came with this valve grinder, seat grinder and a few other things.
View attachment 481821

View attachment 481819
They've updated the machines from way back, however they kept the tooling essentially the same. You can still get replacement stones for those mandrels. The one I have looked about the same when I got it in the mid 70's. A little cleanup and some fresh paint, and it still works as good as ever. If you are into hot rods, old car restoration, or big truck repair, that machine works for fitting the kingpins to the spindle bushings. I've used it for some other tasks, but mainly just honing kingpin bushings.

They've updated the machines from way back, however they kept the tooling essentially the same. You can still get replacement stones for those mandrels. The one I have looked about the same when I got it in the mid 70's. A little cleanup and some fresh paint, and it still works as good as ever. If you are into hot rods, old car restoration, or big truck repair, that machine works for fitting the kingpins to the spindle bushings. I've used it for some other tasks, but mainly just honing kingpin bushings.
Good information, did not know everything has stayed the same size and available.

Thanks

Back