What Did You Buy Today?

It's a little outside my knowledge base, but my brother gave me a tool specificly for the "double flare" fittings. I've never used it, it just sits on the JIC shelf if I ever mess with brake lines, which is what it's for.

The point here is that a double flare is not made with a common flaring tool such as is used for a Propane line. There is(are) a disk that attaches in place of the "cone", specific to tubing diameter. Once that disk makes a fold, it is then replaced with a "cone" to make another fold. That is the tool you need to find. It is not a "standard" flaring tool. You need the specific tool for the application.

The application for the tool I have is for brake lines on a 40s model Jeep. Brake lines are one of those things that you don't try to "second guess" the design specs or tooling. It fails when you need it the most, not when you have a "git by" backup. I have an old model ('68) C-30 dump truck with a split master cylinder and a non-functional Mercedes valve. I don't know the proper name for it, but it isolates the front and rear drum brakes. When that is rebuilt, I guess I'll learn how to use this thing properly.

I think those are called proportioning valves if my memory serves me right.
No guarantee there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a millimess aswell but yours looks a lot bigger? I think it has twice the range of mine too. Looks good they are great for surface plate work.

Hey - it arrive today; cleaned up and ready for Inspection. It’s a beast though...
9E24A81C-EC42-40DC-9F97-4B5778772DAF.jpeg

More stuff from Japan.

My new favorite adjustable wrench. Well I never had a favorite as I don't use em much anymore, never had any stubbie ones either.
20200401_162019.jpg20200401_164048.jpg

The popular common Engineer stuff, screw removal pliers & utility scissors.
20200401_164022.jpg

I ordered the cap too but it's coming on the slow boat from Japan.
s-l1600-5.jpg

More Vessel JIS screwdrivers. I liked the small set so much I bought a second one to keep in my room.
20200401_162313.jpg

And finally my first fail from Japan. Was only $10 so I wasn't expecting much but I didn't expect the damn thing to be made of aluminum! Haha! Oh well, I'll toss it in the bottom drawer of the tool box, maybe one day I will get to break it.
20200401_162453.jpg

Not at all hobby related except it took $4K out of my pocket. My 25 yr old water softener took a dump so I purchased a new system. I hope it last 25 yrs also. No new tools for a few months.

My new favorite adjustable wrench
That’s a darn good idea, I’ve never seen an adjustable wrench with thinned-down jaws like that before. I always end up grinding an inexpensive open-end but that only gives a single size which we know from experience will different the the next size we need. :mad:

-frank

Not at all hobby related except it took $4K out of my pocket. My 25 yr old water softener took a dump so I purchased a new system. I hope it last 25 yrs also. No new tools for a few months.
Ugh. That really sucks.

Reactions: Z2V
Back