What Did You Buy Today?

Got this little thickness measuring tool. Kinda like a quick caliper heck of a deal only $55 brand new. From amazon so I don’t think it’s a fake.

d5629fd81e668601ce632d000d9b79ce.jpg

CL find. $50. Model No. 103.24280. I don't know if it is original but the 1/2 hp Craftsman motor runs smooth. Saw cuts straight. Looks like PO replaced the urethane wheels at some point in the near past. Only problem is belt tension on the motor allows it to slip when taking heavier cuts. No provision to tighten the belt is in place, so that will be one of the many little quarantine projects this week.

IMG-6189.JPG

Latest definition of 'Go BIG or Go Home...'
Picked up a new toy today. We bought this because we want to bring our sheet metal work in-house to decrease costs, and be able to easily build prototype parts. The die you see in it is for the first project, just getting it set up. Up until now we have been using our hand pumped H frame shop press for this job, that's a lot of hand pressing, normally about 400 pieces per run, both ends, so 800 operations. This is going to make life much easier.

View attachment 322606

1976 Promecam hydraulic press brake. This is the same as an Amada press brake, Amada built these under license from Promecam.

4 foot, 25 ton.

Almost like new, has seen very little use I think. Has a Tektronix asset tag on it. My son said he never saw it in the shop out there when he worked there, so has most likely has been sitting in a warehouse for several (at least 20) years. Wired it into our RPC and it fired right up.

As much as I hate hydraulic operated machines, I really wanted a hydraulic press brake. They are impossible to jam. A mechanical press brake (or punch press) can be jammed at the bottom of the stroke and they are a PITA to get unstuck. As a press maintenance guy I have had to unstick a number of them over the years, and have the bent pipe wrenches to prove it.

It has a feature that I have never seen before, a micrometer shut height adjustment calibrated in 0.001'' increments that is adjustable independent of the pressure adjustment. That silver knob, center left in the picture attached to the blue box, is a micrometer thimble about 3'' diameter. Operates by a hydraulic servo valve, not exactly sure how that all works. I need to study the hydraulic drawings a bit. We got all of the original documentation and manuals with it.

It originally had some kind of ''servo'' backstop, but that had been removed at some point, but some of the controls hardware is still there (antique electronics, circa 1976). So I have been tasked with building a new servo backstop and converting the entire machine into a full on CNC press brake. The good news is that my current project is crated and ready for shipping, so I can jump on this one. Then I need to get my CNC plasma operational so we can cut the sheet metal parts to fold up with our new press brake. I'll post a build thread on both of those projects soon.

David -

Is yours a round column mill? I've been servicing the spindle on my own Grizzly G1007 (vintage Taiwanese RF-30 clone, current equivalent model G0705). Bought the same pair of bearings for the drive, plus two tapered roller bearings for the spindle itself - Nachi 30206 and 30207. Might fine quality bearings!

@hman indeed it is a round column mill.
Also have the spindle bearings ready to go.
Figured I’d do it all in one shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fun project. I now have mine reassembled. Used lots of "Red and Tacky." Very nice level of quiet when it's just idling. And when milling, there's no more rattling from the spindle, as there was before. I can actually hear the "hiss" when a carbide cutter is chewing on a steel workpiece.

You've already seen (and liked) my post #2887 in https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...-in-your-shop-today.67833/page-97#post-741280
(I mention now it so that others who're reading this thread can find it if they're interested.)

Also see Rick Sparber's fine article: https://rick.sparber.org/SBR30.pdf
I sure wish I'd found his article before I'd disassembled the quill/spindle! Especially embarrasing because he and I are friends and have worked together on some other articles. I'd searched the web a bit, but the info I got through Google was minimal. So I went "flying blind" ... though slowly and carefully. Luckily, I didn't run into any problems.

Rick and I will soon be working on "adding in" my benchtop spindle run-in method to his article, as well as noting some differences between his mill and mine. F'rinstance, his quill anti-rotation stop screw sockets into a small block that rides in the vertical groove on the quill. My Grizzle does not have such a block. The "pin" end of my screw is wider than his, and it rides directly in the groove.

CL find. $50. Model No. 103.24280. I don't know if it is original but the 1/2 hp Craftsman motor runs smooth. Saw cuts straight. Looks like PO replaced the urethane wheels at some point in the near past. Only problem is belt tension on the motor allows it to slip when taking heavier cuts. No provision to tighten the belt is in place, so that will be one of the many little quarantine projects this week.

View attachment 323219
Had to replace the belt. It was the original Craftsman 45 belt. Now it runs supersmooth. I really want to be able to cut wood and metal with this. So....another project on the list - two speed transmission?

I saw this video on YT...seems "easy" enough. Famous last words, right?

Had to replace the belt. It was the original Craftsman 45 belt. Now it runs supersmooth. I really want to be able to cut wood and metal with this. So....another project on the list - two speed transmission?

I saw this video on YT...seems "easy" enough. Famous last words, right?

Very slick assembly. Any idea what it's called?

Back