What Did You Buy Today?

That’ll be interesting. I look forward to seeing how it works out, I’ve been wanting to come up with one for a long time but never get focussed on it for long enough.

-frank
This whole thing started because I want to make a tap wrench a la This Old Tony and need to knurl the handles... this is how it goes down the rabbit hole.

I remember when it seamed I had to buy a tool of some sort for every project I undertook. There'll eventually come a time when you'll have what you need at hand and find the stock in the junk (inventory) pile.
Looking forward to seeing the knurler David

Greg

I bought a dozen “Bessy” style F clamps, they are a Stronghand brand, 9 of them are 5” and 3 of them are 10”, the LWS was blowing them out, they wanted $10/ea for the small ones and $15 for the big ones. The sales manager said if I took them, right then, I could get them for $5/ea, so I bought them.

I also bought 50’ of 3/8”-24 B-7 hardened all-thread and (100) 3/8”-24 2H hex nuts, work related. I also got 20’ of 7/16”-20 B-7 hardened all thread and some nuts, to make a few draw bar.

That's a lot of all thread.

I paid $620 for 2 days of instruction: “Sheet Metal Forming with Evan Wilcox” on June 13 & 14 at The Crucible in Oakland, CA. There are still 3 spots left in the weekend class if anybody wants to join in on the fun.

The instruction includes gas welding with aluminum, and how to use an English wheel and a planishing hammer.

There is most certainly no room left in my shop for any more tools or machines, so I can only spend my money on tuition and materials.

Cabin fever got the better of me today. I put on my space suit and ventured out to pick this little guy up. I love the oil can holder in the base with the vintage oil can, my will power was holding firm until I saw that, then it was all over. :grin:

View attachment 322317

It is an Excel 12" power hacksaw. The Covel Manufacturing Company (Atlas after 1968) also made these for Sears who sold them under the Craftsman brand until at least the 1970s.

I think this particular saw is pre-1950 because the tag says Excel Hack Saw by Covel Mfg Co. Looking at old advertisements it appears that Covel Mfg Co was dropped from the ads in 1950 instead listing them under the Excel Tool Company. I haven't been able to find much on the Excel branded saws to confirm my hypothesis, as the Craftsman ones seem to be much more common.
Found this "Covel Excel Power Hacksaws - Floor and Bench Models Users manual and parts list" at Vintage Machinery

Back