What Did You Buy Today?

CL find. $50. Model No. 103.24280. I don't know if it is original but the 1/2 hp Craftsman motor runs smooth. Saw cuts straight. Looks like PO replaced the urethane wheels at some point in the near past. Only problem is belt tension on the motor allows it to slip when taking heavier cuts. No provision to tighten the belt is in place, so that will be one of the many little quarantine projects this week.

View attachment 323219
Nice, very similar to the one my dad left me. With the speed reducer he put on it's prety capable with metal.

John

Very slick assembly. Any idea what it's called?

Yep, that's the one I have. Slo Speed Converter.

I'm sure it can be made in a home shop with the right tools and patience but it will probably be easier to rig up a 3 phase motor with VFD or a treadmill motor. Neither of those were really options back in the day but can be had pretty cheap now.

John

I'll admit I suck.

Was looking for stuff on Ebay and came across a listing and got it. Here it is. The caliper wasn't included in auction, I put it there for scale.
Resized_20200506_162730.jpeg
Why do I suck? My winning bid, and the only bid was 99 cents. Shipping was $9.

I really only wanted the counterbores. I checked McMaster's and the biggest tap in the lot 5/8-11x8" lists at $105.56. The largest counterbore $161.58.

Many of the other taps are $50 or more.

I can't remember if I showed this.
A bench-jeweler's drill press. Vintage around 1930-1940 ish.
Langelier Manufacturing, Providence, RI. It was sold by H. Leach Machinery also in Providence.
Got a 9" Rucker straight edge also. I'll get around to it.

Attachments

• straight edge (2).jpg
    straight edge (2).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4782.jpg
    IMG_4782.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4783.jpg
    IMG_4783.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4784 (2).jpg
    IMG_4784 (2).jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4786.jpg
    IMG_4786.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2169.JPG
    IMG_2169.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 29
Most of the bits for my straddle knurler build arrived today!
in the cases are reamers, edge finders, a chamfering endmill and two drill bits.
Just working on the knurls!

IMG_6071.jpg

Last edited:
That’ll be interesting. I look forward to seeing how it works out, I’ve been wanting to come up with one for a long time but never get focussed on it for long enough.

-frank

Back