What Did You Buy Today?

Supervisor still as vigilant as ever, and of course getting in the way of finishing up the project. :grin:
0621201749a__R.jpg

Found a Gem in the beat up black box of Gage Blocks this morning.
(.8155) ?? Must have been a 'special' maybe?
0622200944__CR.jpg

Supervisor still as vigilant as ever, and of course getting in the way of finishing up the project. :grin:
View attachment 328430

Found a Gem in the beat up black box of Gage Blocks this morning.
(.8155) ?? Must have been a 'special' maybe?
View attachment 328431

Looks like a Carl Johansson Ford block supposedly Ford had something to do with them coming into wide usage but I can’t remember the story. Look up the history of gauge blocks and Carl Johansson for a good read if you are into that type of thing. Has to do with war and whatnot.

I picked this up last year, and about a week earlier Keith Rucker had posted a video on it's use and operation.
Then I went and started reading up on CEJ.
I get a kick out of how he did them up on his wife's singer sewing machine.
R_1211191344.jpg

Looks like a Carl Johansson Ford block supposedly Ford had something to do with them coming into wide usage but I can’t remember the story. Look up the history of gauge blocks and Carl Johansson for a good read if you are into that type of thing. Has to do with war and whatnot.

I bought 4 of the MT#3 x MT#2 reducing sleeves, I bought 5 or 6 of them over the last few years and now can not find any of them.

I reckoned old Carl just made himself a set of gauge blocks at work... and took it home one piece at a time.

Snagged a 60 pc assortment of end mills, drills, reamers etc, most appeared to be new.
Was going to post the picture from the C/L ad but the guy took it down already.
Be a few weeks before I get them home as my Uncle (300 miles away) picked the stuff up for me.

I believe it was some sort of an epoxy/fiberglass wrap. Sorry I don't know the type or composition.
Something to keep them 'protected' while getting banged about.
When I was scuba diving more actively it was fairly common to have lead weights coated with rubber (think plasti-dip). Anything that encapsulates the lead would reduce the risk of breathing lead oxide dust, although if you're not gonna use it I'm sure you could find someone that would pay quite a bit for it as lead is getting harder to come by (at least out here).

I'm thinking of attaching the box to a three point hitch and using it for a counter
weight for my tractor. If I weld a lid on the box it will isolate the lead from the
environment.

1. Big vernier caliper: 100cm/40in; 0.05mm precision in decent condition given the age. On the tail there seem to be metrology markings (not sure) and the oldest is a 66 (1966?). Anyhow , it looks old, no rust except for some pitting, and does not feel so smooth as a newer one but for something I will probably be using once every couple of years it is more than enough

2. Set of radius gage blocks (hope it’s the correct term). Inner and outer radius, 7.5-15mm radius in 0.5mm increments

All for 80$

ad49dfaf32afd295b482dca9c4e8c673.jpg

089750a5578be65c096d6c25c0b3e826.jpg

c2975ed84e51cf7bc82570d2f91577ae.jpg

322137a60fc51fa35577530c8f125c3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops, forgot about about the 'kraft' paper that Honey grabbed out of the trash.
We were grabbing NOS cardboard boxes out of the pile and she came back with this.
Puts off quite the aroma when it's been sitting in the back seat of the truck for almost a week... :grin:

0618201909__R.jpg

Back