What Did You Buy Today?

Hey, this may be the best forum to ask this question.

Does anyone know where I can buy one single gallon of ISO 32 way oil? It's what the Atlas shaper calls for. I keep finding it in 5 gallon buckets, but I think that would be a multi lifetime supply for me and I don't wanna pay almost $200.

I've tried Grainger, MSC, McMaster-Carr, eBay, Fastenal and any others I could think of. No one has a single gallon of ISO 32 way oil.

Damn!! No one is local, I have 15-20 gallons of Vactra 2 way oil in numerous 5 gallon pails.

Picked up a nice CO2 regulator from ebay. This is part of my plan to use a 10# CO2 tank for shop air.

The outlet of the regulator goes to a small shut off valve and then to another regulator. Not sure why. Fine adjustment maybe?

View attachment 328751

That's not a CO2 regulator, it's a nitrogen or compressed air regulator. It's a nice setup, and Linde is pro kit. It's a 2-stage, the first regulator drops the pressure coarsely across a wide range. The second regulator is a fine adjust for low pressure.

Edit: It just dawned on me, it's set up for helium. The o-ring is the same as CO2, but it's a 3000 PSI supply.

Picked up a nice CO2 regulator from ebay. This is part of my plan to use a 10# CO2 tank for shop air.

The outlet of the regulator goes to a small shut off valve and then to another regulator. Not sure why. Fine adjustment maybe?

I would remove the smaller reg and replace it with a quick connect in your flavor.
Look on the back of the smaller regulator for a max input pressure. I'll try to look on one of mine tomorrow. You can add a CO2 spud and use it as a stand alone low pressure reg. The HP gauge on a CO2 reg is unnecessary anyway, it just reads vapor pressure until your out of liquid.

Pontiac is correct. That setup will be fine to use for CO2 but you may have to change to a CGA 320 spud.

Last edited:
That's not a CO2 regulator, it's a nitrogen or compressed air regulator. It's a nice setup, and Linde is pro kit. It's a 2-stage, the first regulator drops the pressure coarsely across a wide range. The second regulator is a fine adjust for low pressure.

Edit: It just dawned on me, it's set up for helium. The o-ring is the same as CO2, but it's a 3000 PSI supply.

I just assumed it was CO2 because it had the CGA 320 inlet. I thought CO2 was the only gas that used it. The adjuster knob says "Inert Gas" and the gauges say "Do Not Use Oxygen". I figured it was two stage because of the extra protrusion on the back of the body.

Long term I may decide to get a high pressure cylinder of nitrogen for shop air instead of CO2. With any prolonged use of CO2 there will probably be freezing issues, not to mention asphyxiation hazard since I'm working in a basement. Of course that may go for nitrogen as well. Most welding supply places can do high pressure compressed air, can't they?

The HP gauge on a CO2 reg is unnecessary anyway, it just reads vapor pressure until your out of liquid.

True. The gauge on the tank side should always read the same. Only when the liquid is gone will the gauge show a drop in pressure, then you know pretty much empty.

@Weldo -

Whenever you're using either N2 or CO2 for "compressed air" in your basement shop, you'd best have good ventilation (ie, outside air) coming in.

Regarding the pros and cons of these two gases -
(1) CO2 is in the liquid state in the tank. This means that the total gas volume will be hugely larger than what you'd get from a similarly sized tank of a compressed gas. In rough numbers, every ounce of liquid CO2 will produce slightly more than ¾ of a cubic foot of gas. A 50 lb tank of CO2 will yield about 630 cubic feet of gas. A similar size tank (1A) of N2 (at 2000 PSI) will yield 206 cubic feet at atmospheric pressure. Your 10 lb tank should yield about 206 cubic feet of gas. [I'm an old chemist, and it was fun going back to the "22.4 liters per gram molecular weight" formula!]
(2) Freezing should not be an issue with CO2 unless you use it at a pretty fast rate.
(3) A CO2 tank valve (at least the ones I have) uses a face seal with a plastic gasket, rather than the CGA320 fitting.
(4) Worst comes to worst, and you dump your entire 10 lb CO2 tank into your workspace at once, it will only be 206 cubic feet, or a volume of about 10 ft x 10 ft x 3 ft. That will generally be a small fraction of the air volume in a typical basement (unless you're down on the floor) ... but again, be sure there's fresh air coming in.

Worst comes to worst, and you dump your entire 10 lb CO2 tank into your workspace at once, it will only be 206 cubic feet, or a volume of about 10 ft x 10 ft x 3 ft. That will generally be a small fraction of the air volume in a typical basement (unless you're down on the floor) ... but again, be sure there's fresh air coming in.

There is a small window I can open. I sometimes put an exhaust fan in there when I have to spray paint.

A CO2 tank valve (at least the ones I have) uses a face seal with a plastic gasket, rather than the CGA320 fitting.

I thought CGA 320 is that same fitting you are describing? Like the pic below. It has a flat face with a gasket of some type.

1593253171065.png

This is the type on my regulator.

I gotta get me one of them. :grin: Looks pretty good.
I had a nice knock-off that was decent and I loaned it to someone to do their stereo in their truck.
Guess what got left out in the rain?

Not quite in the class of a Precision Matthews PM-1660TL with factory DRO (drool) but I received a wire terminal ratchet crimper that was well reviewed on another list I am on. (Discussion was relative merits of soldered versus crimp connectors but we won't go there now, too much like a religion :)

It has easily interchangeable jaws for insulated (red, blue and yellow wire sizes) and non insulated connections plus some lesser used types that I didn't have a crimper for. About $70 from several eBay sellers and looks and feels pretty stout, includes a plastic case.

As good as my AMP crimper that does only the RBY crimps and about 1/2 the price.

View attachment 328749

Back