What Did You Buy Today?

@DLF - Both very nice tools. The radius gauges look like they're especially well "packaged." That design seems a lot better than the loose-parts-in-a-plastic-folder style that I have. And the "historical" markings on the caliper make it a real treasure. Congratulations!

Reactions: DLF
@DLF - Both very nice tools. The radius gauges look like they're especially well "packaged." That design seems a lot better than the loose-parts-in-a-plastic-folder style that I have. And the "historical" markings on the caliper make it a real treasure. Congratulations!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Precision Matthews PM-1660TL with factory DRO.

I just got back from getting a personal loan for $12,000 to put toward this $18,000 order which includes the machine, DRO, DRO installation, sales tax and delivery.

Later, I’m going to get a 10” 4 jaw chuck, taper attachment, extra BXA tool holders, and 5/8” and 3/4” turning and boring sets.

I sent a $3,600 deposit today because this machine has not even shipped from Taiwan yet. The DRO is also back ordered. I hope to see the machine in September.

The main reasons that I chose this machine are:
(1) Taiwanese manufacture,
(2) QCGB for any and all metric and Imperial thread pitches,
(3) 2.55” spindle bore,
(4) taper attachment, and
(5) HP motor.

This is a picture of a PM-1640TL:
588D3E34-ECF8-4FC7-9734-6097143F6177.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to get another drawer

I see you got the starter set, nice!

I don't keep mine in drawers. Years ago I started using a 5-gallon bucket to hold them all like a vise-grip boquet, just drop them in tip down and keep the bucket near the welding table. Somehow it's easy to pick out the one you want and they don't get hung up on each other.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their stuff, this is the "where did I put it down" collection. :)
View attachment 328689
If I looked around, I bet I could beat that, especially the upper left hand one. The same with utility knives, screwdriver tips, tiny LED flashlights, And probably things I'm not thinking of. I know my disorganization leads to excess. I hate not being able to find something when I need it.

Not quite in the class of a Precision Matthews PM-1660TL with factory DRO (drool) but I received a wire terminal ratchet crimper that was well reviewed on another list I am on. (Discussion was relative merits of soldered versus crimp connectors but we won't go there now, too much like a religion :)

It has easily interchangeable jaws for insulated (red, blue and yellow wire sizes) and non insulated connections plus some lesser used types that I didn't have a crimper for. About $70 from several eBay sellers and looks and feels pretty stout, includes a plastic case.

As good as my AMP crimper that does only the RBY crimps and about 1/2 the price.

AstroCrimper.jpg

Picked up a nice CO2 regulator from ebay. This is part of my plan to use a 10# CO2 tank for shop air.

The outlet of the regulator goes to a small shut off valve and then to another regulator. Not sure why. Fine adjustment maybe?

EM520197.JPG

EM520198.JPG

Back