What Did You Buy Today?

Damn mosquitos have been biting me like crazy the past 2 weeks. Saw on the news a couple of days ago that LA county got their first 2 cases of West Nile virus from mosquitos this season. And both cases were from the San Fernando Valley which is where I'm at. :oops:

Bought these this morning. It's zappin time! Not sure if these actually work but it's worth a try. I've been using spray repellent while working out in the shop. Put one in the garage/shop & one in the kitchen.

20200801_091758.jpg20200801_095726.jpg
20200801_100229.jpg20200801_092537.jpg20200801_092548.jpg

Used a long spring from Dave's @mmcmdl hardware care package. :D
20200801_101401.jpg

Well i know there is several replies I could make in response to that statement, but I'll refrain and just say this.

TMI o_O
Don't even leave yourself open like that............. Pardon the double entendre...:p

Man, the stuff you guys think of! :p

I wanted to say "so my a s s can be happy" but I think we still have censors, as in so my butt can be comfortable. Wait that don't sound right either. Uh, so my butt doesn't hurt while sitting. Ah dammit n/m, I give up! :D

Found out more about the lathe today. Cam with this neat little chip cart, collet closer is 3J ad not 16c. and found the feet for it. They were in the coolant try. I was wondering why the damn thing was so heavy. Just couldn't see through the screen covering it.

So back on the floor and jack the lathe up and swap the pads for the ones I already made. :confused:

If I can get the bar feeder moved so I can hook the cable up from it I may be able to power it up today.

20200731_190836.jpg
20200801_103918.jpg
20200801_103353.jpg

Damn mosquitos have been biting me like crazy the past 2 weeks. Saw on the news a couple of days ago that LA county got their first 2 cases of West Nile virus from mosquitos this season. And both cases were from the San Fernando Valley which is where I'm at. :oops:

Bought these this morning. It's zappin time! Not sure if these actually work but it's worth a try. I've been using spray repellent while working out in the shop. Put one in the garage/shop & one in the kitchen.

View attachment 332191View attachment 332192
View attachment 332183View attachment 332184View attachment 332193

Used a long spring from Dave's @mmcmdl hardware care package. :D
View attachment 332185
Will,
Not sure if those work for skeeters. WIll be interested in your experience. One thing I know works is DEET. Nasty, stinky, and the concentrated stuff you get at REI will melt plastic, so be careful, but it will definitely keep the mosquitos away. I used it in W. Africa where the mosquitos are thick and carry nasty stuff. I think I got 3 bites in 5 weeks. Permethrin also works well and is much less nasty, but it needs to be in clothing and cover your skin--so wrists, neck, face, etc. are still exposed.
Evan

Will,
Not sure if those work for skeeters. WIll be interested in your experience. One thing I know works is DEET. Nasty, stinky, and the concentrated stuff you get at REI will melt plastic, so be careful, but it will definitely keep the mosquitos away. I used it in W. Africa where the mosquitos are thick and carry nasty stuff. I think I got 3 bites in 5 weeks. Permethrin also works well and is much less nasty, but it needs to be in clothing and cover your skin--so wrists, neck, face, etc. are still exposed.
Evan

Thanks Evan. The spray I've been using says 40% DEET on it. I think I got it at HD. It does work pretty well while I'm out in the shop. But like you said, stinks (doesn't bother me much with the fan & AC on) but feels nasty with the 100°+ days lately. Problem is I don't want to spray it on me after I'm done for the day & take a shower. I've been getting bit while in the house at night.

Them bastards are coming in from the garage. We use the garage to enter/exit the house. The neighbor has a fountain in their porch now & our side door is close to it. I'm pretty sure them buggers are coming from that. I'll so tempted to sneak over there & dump a bottle of bleach in there! That's why I put a zapper in the garage where I did. I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on the zapper to see if it gets anything.

Well it's up and kind of running. I can ran a small program that was in the control, but I've got sort of a clunking from Z axis.

I shut the machine off and can easily move the z ball screw. Plenty of lube everywhere and I can actually feel the clunk when I stop turning it with my hand. As easy as the ball screw turns I'm thinking maybe a thrust bearing. Looks like I might be able to get the ball screw out without removing the turret.

On the plus side I found one of these buried in the bottom of the tool box. It's $700 new so that is a bonus. Haven't tried it out yet, Still trying to figure out the clunking problem.

Last edited:
I tried for a long time to get along without one, but with a $60 coupon it’s hard to beat for $200 +tax. Had to wait for a wile for it to be in stock but finally have one, and already put it to good use.

Attachments

• B4A18E97-DCA9-462A-B733-A770E550AC87.jpeg
    B4A18E97-DCA9-462A-B733-A770E550AC87.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 1CB534BB-604A-40C0-9F9C-47976C246DA0.jpeg
    1CB534BB-604A-40C0-9F9C-47976C246DA0.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 32
Few eBay pick-ups over the last month or two. First, some 3/8" Melin drill mills with 90 deg. tips. Plan to use these as chamfering bits on the CNC mills.

20200711_154758.jpg

I did a stupid thing on my Tormach a few weeks ago. Was running the Superfly across a piece of steel and jogged down to close to the surface to check Z for the first pass. Then used the shuttle to rapid to the RH side so when it passed over the stock from right to left it'd throw the chips away from me. Well, the RH side was a little taller than the left. Dug in the insert and snapped it. . . eBay seller Zimi-hk to the rescue, bought 10 each inserts for aluminum and steel. As an aside, does it really make a difference on steel vs. aluminum inserts? My Superfly has an aluminum-cutting insert on it but I use it on steel and get a mirror finish.

20200727_170707.jpg

I'm pretty good on tooling but always look for deals for more. I saw this lot of 3/8" and smaller Garr supposedly new carbide end mills for $20 buy it now and took a shot. Three or four have some signs of use, but the others are very sharp, so maybe lightly used.

20200801_143313.jpg

Thanks for looking, Bruce

Last edited:
Back