What Did You Buy Today?

turned these roadside finds:
IMG_9611.JPG

into 3 Jacobs 33JT chucks, a 5/8" Snaptap internal threading bar (all from STMSurplus) and a set of import imperial (1/16-5/8") ER25 collets
IMG_9613.JPG

no picture of the ER collets, but you all know what they look like :) They're not particularly exceptional (about 0.0005" run out) but they'll do for my mill collet chuck.

Anyway, I think the "trade" worked out pretty well!

@matthemuppet2, My goodness! I've never found a phone on the side of the road (I did lose one) and I had no idea those could be sold.

Do you repair them first or sell as pictured?

Do you repair them first or sell as pictured?
sjm-roadlitter-0926-02.jpg

First, you gotta collect the phones. This can be done by simple methods, such as getting busted for drunk in public and being assigned community service. Then you gotta get onto a good crew, because the crew boss might already have a hookup for selling smashed phones. Then you need to find somebody who wants smashed phones, hopefully one who has Jacobs chucks in trade. I prefer V-blocks and 1-2-3 blocks, buy your guy might have chuck jaws or even a Mr. Mister to trade...

First, you gotta collect the phones. This can be done by simple methods, such as getting busted for drunk in public and being assigned community service. Then you gotta get onto a good crew, because the crew boss might already have a hookup for selling smashed phones. Then you need to find somebody who wants smashed phones, hopefully one who has Jacobs chucks in trade. I prefer V-blocks and 1-2-3 blocks, buy your guy might have chuck jaws or even a Mr. Mister to trade...

Once upon a time I joined the "Adopt-A-Highway" team from my employer. We had about a mile of Hwy 101 in Goleta, CA.
That was well before smart phones. It was an especially fruitless and unsatisfying exercise. YMMV.

well chaps you would be amazed at some of the stuff I find at the side of the road. Before covid I used to ride my push bike 250 miles a week. Some days I would find nothing other days would be a bounty. Anything from an endless supply of 10 and 12mm sockets to stuff that I wouldn't touch with a 6ft pole (it was black, rubbery and very lifelike). Best find ever was a smashed iPhone 10, sold that on eBay for $300! Bought me a new set of wheels for the bike :) If they turn on I always return them - one guy was super grumpy but gave me $10 to buy the kids some icecream which was nice.

This lot sold for $106 + postage on eBay. I guess people buy them for the spares or to repair them. There was even another one that I didn't pick up (was too dangerous to stop at the time) but that was gone by the next day. The 3 Jacobs chucks (I need a new one for my DP) and threading bar were $65 inc. postage and the collets were around $35 so I more or less broke even!

I hope everything got there safely Mike . Just been crazy here for the last few days . Supposed to work 12 hr nights for vacation relief , wifes up the hospital , neighbors cutting down huge trees on the property line . Just another week . :grin:

Everything got here fine, hope the vertigo gets resolved.....

Back