What Did You Buy Today?

Got an AXA Wedge Type Quick Change Tool Post Set 250-111 from Amazon... should be here tomorrow... I think that will be it in terms of buying stuff for the 9"x20" used lathe that I just got... Anything else, I will give it a try making it myself...

EDIT: Wife confirmed that I am done buying stuff for anything... so yeah... done for now :D. I will miss posting in the thread. Don't you hate it when the wife comes in the middle of making a post??

Last edited:
Got an AXA Wedge Type Quick Change Tool Post Set 250-111 from Amazon... should be here tomorrow... I think that will be it in terms of buying stuff for the 9"x20" used lathe that I just got... Anything else, I will give it a try making it myself...

EDIT: Wife confirmed that I am done buying stuff for anything... so yeah... done for now :D. I will miss posting in the thread. Don't you hate it when the wife comes in in the middle of making a post??
Oh, I know what you mean. :) Was trawling for some inserts on evilbay just now. While waiting for an evilbay carbide boring bar to arrive today.
The bar has arrived: QCBI-500-8-5R and 9 TPCH-2205-CG5 inserts 0.007" radius.
PXL_20210915_205542866.jpg
Make do with what you have. It's actually a great exercise, it forces you to be creative, and often results in some good ideas!

Last edited:
Today I picked up a Spin Index fixture for 5c collets. Seems to be in very good shape, came with a shop made "quick release" system, pretty cool. It came also with a 6mm collet. While I was there I asked what else he had and we worked a deal on some new do-all solid carbide end mills. All in all a good Kajiji find.

20210915_210408.jpg

I picked up a Spin Index fixture for 5c collets.
They can be handy for several things. There are a lot of videos on modifying them. First thing I did was mill the sides & bottom of the base true to the bore so I could put in my vice. Makes it much quicker to use. I also reversed the spindle to get the indexing plate out of the way for small tooling on short or small diameter parts.

How did you fixture it for machininG
As Larry says once the bottom and sides of the base have been machined true, you can use it in a vice.

I like your spindel reversing idea larry. I have never used one of these but now that you mention it I can see how close work around the indexing plate could be tough.

As Larry says once the bottom and sides of the base have been machined true, you can use it in a vice.

My question is about holding the spindexer to machine its base. I can imagine a cylinder held in a collet block in the vise and also by the spindexer. But that’s not the only or best way.

How did you fixture it for machining?
To tell the truth I no longer remember. I know I used a piece of ground shafting in a collet as my reference.
I like your spindel reversing idea larry.
Not my idea. There are several people showing how they did it on YT.
I've considered making a tailstock for it to do longer fluting.
Considering how cheap it was it has excellent fits.
I ground a D bit to match a plastic gear and made it with the spin indexer. The catch is the # of teeth has to be evenly divisible into 360. 24 teeth works, 25 doesn't.

Back