What Did You Buy Today?

Yes, thanks. Is yours steel or aluminum? I have some 12mm magnets. Not sure if I have a big enough piece of plastic, but that's a solvable problem.
aluminum... I didn't think I needed steel, which itself would become magnetized.

Having played with these magnets before, what did you do to restrain them while being glued? A steel plate, which you slid off? I've had them jump pretty far and join together. Like inches. They are strong.

For drawing?

Sort of, it is for rescaling plans, could be drawing new plans or simply building from the plans. The marks along the arm set the proportion, so say you have a set of plans drawn in 1/48 scale and you want to build it in 1/24 scale or 1/72 scale. Instead of measuring, doing the math and measuring out the new scale, you just measure with one end, and if set properly the other end will be your re-scaled distance.

At least that is my understanding of how it works.

Having played with these magnets before, what did you do to restrain them while being glued? A steel plate, which you slid off? I've had them jump pretty far and join together. Like inches. They are strong.
I don't remember, I think I used CA so it would be quick. Orientation is important. I think I put a drop in the bottom and pressed each in... with a tight fit it should squeeze out and wick up. I may have sprayed accelerator on the mags... I honestly don't remember its been a long time.

After discovering such a thing existed in a thread on making a proportional scale divider, I ordered this one on Amazon. It is hard to believe something this nice can be sold for only $25, I probably couldn't have bought the materials for that and doubt I could have made it any better.

View attachment 378810
Wowsers! Even the case looks fantastic!

Back