What Did You Buy Today?

Yesterday I was given a millermatic 251, a metabo abrasive chop saw and a Bosch 4 inch grinder. All were going to be thrown out! my neighbor was friends with the guy so we drove to his shop and picked them up along with 40 pounds of scrap steel. Pictures to come later! Here is his website: https://www.tirewash.com/
Another 'you suck'! :grin: I had my eye on a MM251 a couple months ago but waited too long to pull the trigger.

Auction haul. First machine tool auction (online) that I've purchased anything at.

They combined three 6-jaw chucks together into one bidding lot, which I won. One is a 8" Buck set-tru. One is an 8" Bison. One is a 6" Bison set-tru. Also got a 3'x4'x6" Starret surface plate, and a collection of drill bits which also included several good sized (MT3/4) live and dead centers and two Jacobs Super Chucks (11N and 14N) as well as a bunch of drill bits and some misc odds and ends. More on the misc odds and ends later, a few mystery bits, and a undoubtedly some stuff that will get hauled off as scrap.

The 6" Bison set-tru looks barely used. All three of them are two piece jaws. I'll need to buy appropriate backplates for them, D1-6 for the 8", one will go with the Monarch CK and one with the Monarch 612. And eventually the 6" will hopefully go with the 10EE when I get around to that again. Jaws may need replacing on one of them.

All of this (including the surface plate w/ stand) for for quite a bit less than a single set-tru 6-jaw 6" Buck or Bison chuck sells for.
IMG_4203.JPGIMG_4204.JPGIMG_4205.JPG
IMG_4206.JPGIMG_4207.JPG

Last edited:
Auction haul. First machine tool auction (online) that I've purchased anything at.

They combined three 6-jaw chucks together into one bidding lot, which I won. One is a 8" Buck set-tru. One is an 8" Bison. One is a 6" Bison set-tru. Also got a 3'x4'x6" Starret surface plate, and a collection of drill bits which also included several good sized (MT3/4) live and dead centers and two Jacobs Super Chucks (11N and 14N) as well as a bunch of drill bits and some misc odds and ends. More on the misc odds and ends later, a few mystery bits, and a undoubtedly some stuff that will get hauled off as scrap.

The 6" Bison set-tru looks barely used. All three of them are two piece jaws. I'll need to buy appropriate backplates for them, D1-6 for the 8", one will go with the Monarch CK and one with the Monarch 612. And eventually the 6" will hopefully go with the 10EE when I get around to that again. Jaws may need replacing on one of them.

All of this (including the surface plate w/ stand) for about what a new 6-jaw 6" Buck chuck sells for.
View attachment 384251View attachment 384252View attachment 384253
View attachment 384254View attachment 384255
wow, great haul. 3 chucks all sixers... nice... and that you have the lathes for them.

Are the super chucks nice and free? good?
if you got a good price even nicer for that haul... hope you have a forklift for that granite, or at least a hydraulic table.

wow, great haul. 3 chucks all sixers... nice... and that you have the lathes for them.

Are the super chucks nice and free? good?
if you got a good price even nicer for that haul... hope you have a forklift for that granite, or at least a hydraulic table.
The big Jacobs is free. No key so I'll need to see if I have one that works in the 11N. I'll need to buy new holders/shanks for them.
3'x4'x6" granite is about 1000lbs even. I have a tractor loader with forks that will pick up about 3000lbs, a little more if the load is close in.

The big Jacobs is free. No key so I'll need to see if I have one that works in the 11N. I'll need to buy new holders/shanks for them.
3'x4'x6" granite is about 1000lbs even. I have a tractor loader with forks that will pick up about 3000lbs, a little more if the load is close in.
make sure you have some weight in the back, I would hate to see 1000 lbs pick up the rear wheels and ...... it's too painful to think about.

edit:
My key for my 14N is a #3 if you need to know what you're looking for.

make sure you have some weight in the back, I would hate to see 1000 lbs pick up the rear wheels and ...... it's too painful to think about.
1000 lbs is easy. IIRC rear tires have about 120(?) gallons total of water with beet juice additive as anti-freeze. I've used it to pick up a 3000lb Monarch 10EE. The 4000lb Thompson surface grinder is dicey, in which case I put the 8' bush hog on the back, which itself weighs about 1200lbs. That gets pretty tough on the front tires though.

Last edited:

edit:
My key for my 14N is a #3 if you need to know what you're looking for.
Thanks for the key size.

For your rigging amusement here is my 8000lb of Monarch dangling in the air after pulling the gooseneck out. That was a high pucker factor day.
BC35B3C7-8EF6-4DEF-89F3-757F83828C3A.jpeg

They combined three 6-jaw chucks together into one bidding lot, which I won. One is a 8" Buck set-tru. One is an 8" Bison. One is a 6" Bison set-tru.
I checked the dimensions and it looks like the Shars brand set-tru D1-6 backplate will work for the two 8" chucks so I ordered two of those. The cost of Buck and Bison branded backplates new is pretty steep. I'm waiting on the D1-3 for the 6" as the 10EE is at least a year from working.

Back