What Did You Buy Today?

Wow! Nice freebie:<) I finally found a speed/feed plaque for the Compact 8 on Flea-Bay to dress up the old girl:<) Now I can shop for the proper gears to get the power feed in order :applause 2:

Attachments

• Plate-1.jpeg
    Plate-1.jpeg
    501.8 KB · Views: 36
Got a set of soft jaws for the small vise... Tap, tap, tappy tap tap to shape them...

IMG_3172.jpeg
IMG_3174.jpeg

Hehehehehe, could not resist... I have several used tools with the previous owner's initials... I had to start somewhere!

IMG_3173.jpeg

IMG_3177.jpeg

Last edited:
Auction haul. First machine tool auction (online) that I've purchased anything at.

They combined three 6-jaw chucks together into one bidding lot, which I won. One is a 8" Buck set-tru. One is an 8" Bison. One is a 6" Bison set-tru. Also got a 3'x4'x6" Starret surface plate, and a collection of drill bits which also included several good sized (MT3/4) live and dead centers and two Jacobs Super Chucks (11N and 14N) as well as a bunch of drill bits and some misc odds and ends. More on the misc odds and ends later, a few mystery bits, and a undoubtedly some stuff that will get hauled off as scrap.

The 6" Bison set-tru looks barely used. All three of them are two piece jaws. I'll need to buy appropriate backplates for them, D1-6 for the 8", one will go with the Monarch CK and one with the Monarch 612. And eventually the 6" will hopefully go with the 10EE when I get around to that again. Jaws may need replacing on one of them.

All of this (including the surface plate w/ stand) for for quite a bit less than a single set-tru 6-jaw 6" Buck or Bison chuck sells for.
View attachment 384251View attachment 384252View attachment 384253
View attachment 384254View attachment 384255
That’s super awesome with the auction score I have been watching the a lot on also and get emails everyday about them from several sites but have been super skeptical about how it all works with shipping and rigging and so on !!! Good for you tho that’s a hell of a haul !!!

I found this block of mystery metal on the sidewalk near road construction.

1636170182918.png

Clearly it was excavated after a while underground. I have no idea what purpose it served or what kind of metal is it. It is about 2" thick and looks to be cast. I am assuming it is cast iron or less likely steel. What do you think it is? I could cut it up for raw material?
Robert

I found this block of mystery metal on the sidewalk near road construction.

Use an angle grinder to get down to the shiney bit.

It will look more like rawstock then.

This turned up an hour away for $100. It was completely coated in sawdust when I got it.

The seller acquired it with some other tools and it just sat in the back of his woodshop for several years. He was cleaning the shop and decided it needed to find a new home. It needs a good cleaning and is missing a few parts, but otherwise seems to be in decent shape. I have the rear cover, it just isn't attached.

It is a Prazi SD300 aka Hobbymat MD65 5x12" lathe made in what was East Germany. It came with a manual with 1990 and $1649 hand written on the cover. These are supposed to be very precision lathes, similar to the Emco Compact 5. It is a lot heavier than it looks, according to the manual it weighs 97lbs. I figured for the price I couldn't go wrong with it.

It joins my increasingly ridiculous harem of small lathes... :rolleyes:

Prazi SD300.jpg

Last edited:
Back