What Did You Buy Today?

I would make my own pallets for the heaviest equip. Not the light duty stuff, or find the heavy pallets.
This.

When I bought & moved my BP I made my own heavy-duty pallet w/ dimensional lumber; I felt it was much more secure. The mill still sits on it today because its not in its final home & a pallet jack makes easy work of it. The mill is a bit high but usable. You can see a pic of it here: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/finally-got-myself-a-mill.83031/

A PJ is also great for moving around benches, cabinets, and shelves; a lot quicker than having to first unload everything.

This.

When I bought & moved my BP I made my own heavy-duty pallet w/ dimensional lumber; I felt it was much more secure. The mill still sits on it today because its not in its final home & a pallet jack makes easy work of it. The mill is a bit high but usable. You can see a pic of it here: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/finally-got-myself-a-mill.83031/

A PJ is also great for moving around benches, cabinets, and shelves; a lot quicker than having to first unload everything.
I would probably not have any spaces between boards, so things would not fall under.
Also you could build a platform to stand on, it would provide your feet some comfort rather than standing on concrete, just make it out of lighter stuff so it has some give. it would be warmer too rather than standing on cold concrete in the winter. The nice thing about a pallet is you can mount a stand for accessories like a rotary table, spindexer, etc, and move it with the mill. or just put them down on the pallet.

Thank you... I keep looking for a Bridgeport, or Bridgeport clone, milling machine... A pallet jack would be extremely handy to move something like that... and the lathe should be coming soon, so I can use it to move that around and use the engine lift crane to put it in place (if I do not end up getting that telescopic gantry crane that I have been eyeing for a few months now)...

I will grab a pallet jack to be ready... Thank you again.
Here are some options off Craig's List. I used the website "www.searchtempest.com". It lets you specify price range, driving range, etc. It looks up stuff on eBay and CL. You may try Facebook Marketplace too. They have MANY more listings for stuff than CL.

Bruce

$4500 Sharp with DRO, collets, vise, variable-speed head. Looks to be in decent shape, just South of Tampa

$2500 Birmingham with 9" x 49" table and X-axis power feed. No tooling, variable-speed head, Port Charlotte (South of Tampa, but you know the town . . .)

$4250 Bridgeport 1 HP belt-drive with a VFD installed (so variable speed). Kurt vise, X-axis power feed, 42" table, North of Orlando

$2800 Alliant, 42" table, variable-speed head, collets and a vise. In the Bradenton area.

Here are some options off Craig's List. I used the website "www.searchtempest.com". It lets you specify price range, driving range, etc. It looks up stuff on eBay and CL. You may try Facebook Marketplace too. They have MANY more listings for stuff than CL.

Bruce

$4500 Sharp with DRO, collets, vise, variable-speed head. Looks to be in decent shape, just South of Tampa

$2500 Birmingham with 9" x 49" table and X-axis power feed. No tooling, variable-speed head, Port Charlotte (South of Tampa, but you know the town . . .)

$4250 Bridgeport 1 HP belt-drive with a VFD installed (so variable speed). Kurt vise, X-axis power feed, 42" table, North of Orlando

$2800 Alliant, 42" table, variable-speed head, collets and a vise. In the Bradenton area.

Thank you! I will start a thread in this section... will place your quote there as you hit on a couple of the machines I was looking at... So far I have been creating a thread for each of the machine I was looking at, pretty good deals, only to lose those to the person in front of me...

So maybe one thread to get feedback on the ones I am looking at and help me determine which one would be the best option...

Buying a Machine? Get advice and help here!

Bought it... picking it up this Friday... From the ad:

"Mighty Lift used working pallet jacks. Weight capacity is 5500 lbs. All will be in working condition but will have to use foot pedal to release down. Price is $125 each."

So guessing that the hand operated lever is toast... would be a nice challenge to get that working again, if possible...

Pallet Jack -1.jpeg
Pallet Jack - 2.jpeg

"Mighty Lift used working pallet jacks. Weight capacity is 5500 lbs. All will be in working condition but will have to use foot pedal to release down. Price is $125 each."

So guessing that the hand operated lever is toast... would be a nice challenge to get that working again, if possible...

View attachment 388701
View attachment 388702
At the end of the day, its just a hydraulic jack. If it is not leaking, it should be OK. If it is, shouldn't be to hard to reseal. If your luck like I was, the linkage is busted. If that is the case, its an easy fix. You will be glad you bought it

View attachment 388701
View attachment 388702
that's a great price. I'm sure it won't be too hard to get the hand release working... nice score... YOU SUCK..
Around here they are hard to find. One guy will only sell 6 at a time.

btw, if the sharp is in good shape, it's a top of the line mill. Sharp was always known for quality.

@wachuko

Good buy on that pallet jack.

It's very important to get the hydraulic control on the handle back in reliable working order. It's a critical safety feature.

@wachuko

Good buy on that pallet jack.

It's very important to get the hydraulic control on the handle back in reliable working order. It's a critical safety feature.

My plan is to fix it. Looking at the assembly videos. Should be an easy fix... Worse case scenario, a complete handle assembly is 90.00.

Back