What Did You Buy Today?

@wachuko

What is the function of the white rectangular part (w/2 fasteners protruding) shrouding the steer wheels?

Feedback On A Purchase...

Back in February I posted that I had bought a bottle of cutting oil to reduce the smoke and smell. Seemed OK initially: the smell and
smoke was minimal and as a cutting fluid it seemed fine. But, what I learned was that if it isn't cleaned off everything it
turns into a sticky, hard to remove mess that causes corrosion. Can't recommend this stuff at all: I'm still cleaning it off tool holders
and the nooks and crannies of my chucks. Bought some regular Tap Magic and all is well.

IMG_1226.jpeg

Feedback On A Purchase...

Back in February I posted that I had bought a bottle of cutting oil to reduce the smoke and smell. Seemed OK initially: the smell and
smoke was minimal and as a cutting fluid it seemed fine. But, what I learned was that if it isn't cleaned off everything it
turns into a sticky, hard to remove mess that causes corrosion. Can't recommend this stuff at all: I'm still cleaning it off tool holders
and the nooks and crannies of my chucks. Bought some regular Tap Magic and all is well.

View attachment 389167
Regular Tap Magic works pretty well, but it smokes and it discolors in the presence of some materials. I have a plastic oil cup and the chips in the oil end up turning it quite dark after a while. It also attacks zinc, and probably other metals. I have found I need to thoroughly remove regular Tap Magic from my drill bits before I put the bits back in a Huot index. If not, it attacks the plating in the index.

I have also tried Anchor Lube which one can dilute with water. That works pretty well and does not smoke. It wipes up with a damp paper towel.

Yep, that's my experience with Tap Magic. Some metals discolor and some don't. I only use it when I know I can wipe everything down soon after completing the machining.

The only cutting fluid that I found is safe to leave on machines and cutting tools is Boelube. It comes in liquid, paste, and solid forms.

I guess I don't do enough ... I have never noticed.
I use tap magic EP-Xtra, oatley dark, Mobil 766, Tap Magic Aluminum, Anchor lube, WD40 (for al) and I have not seen staining.
I guess it's the metals I use... I also usually clean off with alcohol or acetone... but I don't remember staining. I'll be on the lookout from now on.

Back