What Did You Buy Today?

Started gathering tooling for my new large lathe. 2 3/16 MT5 drill.

View attachment 391701

No specific plans yet. Just searching for deals on this big stuff since it is not cheap.

I've got some pretty large MT drill bits kicking around my shop (up to, I dunno, 1-3/4" or so).

WAYYYY too big for me.

Pick a reasonable price and they're all yours. Shoot me a PM if you're interested, I can snap a few photos for ya.

I also ordered the Steady Rest kit from Hemingway Kits should have plenty of projects to work on once it get a little warmer.
Please let us know how you make out with that kit... I keep looking at them for my 10K.

One of those things I really don't need, I mean what's a tilt vise and Jo blocks for if not setting angles. But it was cheap because nobody wanted to pay for what amounts to "scrap" metal in todays buyer's market. No collectible value, right? Anyway, I'll clean them up and wrap in vapor paper and stash them away. Might be useful one day. . .
View attachment 391632
Some of these will help make for a quick set up.

Please let us know how you make out with that kit... I keep looking at them for my 10K.
Someone on a facebook group told me about it and said it was pretty decent. Idr what the fingers were but i think im gonna make the tips out of brass also.

I got a set of expanding mandrels covering about a half inch to an inch. They are very well made. What I like about this style is that the area under the work being held all expands, rather than just pressing the workpiece onto a simple taper. Seems like this will keep the work aligned better, and make it easier to position on the mandrel. The cost seemed good, I recall maybe $80. Edit: I mean $100.

View attachment 391786
How do you drive those?
I have a few, I’ve decided i need to make an adapter

How do you drive those?
Expanding mandrels are just like any mandrel, it seems to me. There is a flat on one end for a lathe dog for turning between centers, and I suppose you could chuck one end up and center the other with the tailstock.

But, I have yet to actually use these.

Success...

So we were googling the large thread bolt and images for oil drain plugs pop up.

DUH...!

We need a plug and not a bolt, and many cars likely to have oil plug that size.

A Napa distribution store is near our workplace so we go in, drop the center on the counter and ask for oil plug that size.

Their computer sorts by size so a few minutes and $17.00 later we have the perfect item, even comes with rubber seal.

c8e0bbc7c49a3549fec109141be44707.jpg
cb7d4325c859d212a53d75ccffc51e73.jpg
9dc54ceef6b0b7f40b2d7a5072e64cb4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Jacobs 18N, I don't really need it, but I thought it was a good deal, 120 bucks free shipping. It rolls super smooth, and the jaws are very nice, it has an MT3 mounted, and a MT4 included.
I am liking my jacobs a lot more these days. I have a keyless, but in my drill press it takes so many turns to open it. its also very long by comparison. enjoy. I think mine is a 14.. I hate to tell you what I paid... it'd make your head spin off.

Back