What Did You Buy Today?

LOL , I was selling a hydro rear end off a Deere tractor and stamped my mark on the casing . I do this because I can identify it if ever any issues about getting it back . I cracked the casing keeping the story short . Easier and safer to engrave a mark or name than stamping . :grin: :rolleyes:
Not your fault.....
Cheap Deere casting mat's anyway!! GASP!!!!

Got a couple of things in today! First off is a Starrett 220 interchangeable anvil mic:
PXL_20220407_204108813smol.jpg
I've wanted one of these ever since I saw This Old Tony showing his off. The face isn't carbide, there isn't a vernier scale for tenths and there's no friction/ratcheting thimble, but it seems to be in pretty good repair. It also came with a whole bunch of fixings (Starrett 1" standard that I probably won't trust, various pins, and an extra anvil):
PXL_20220407_204407270.jpg

I also got some really nice abrasive files. The eBay listing called them "moldmaker stones," but I'll confess that I don't really understand the distinction. They're fairly coarse, but they're finer than the rough India stone abrasive files I have. They're also super thin which should let me reach hard-to-deburr spots.
PXL_20220407_204559197.jpg

EDIT: After 30 seconds of Googling, I've learned that moldmaker stones are just abrasive files that are made from black silicon carbide. Works for me.

Last edited:
Got a couple of things in today! First off is a Starrett 220 interchangeable anvil mic:
View attachment 403407
I've wanted one of these ever since I saw This Old Tony showing his off. The face isn't carbide, there isn't a vernier scale for tenths and there's no friction/ratcheting thimble, but it seems to be in pretty good repair. It also came with a whole bunch of fixings (Starrett 1" standard that I probably won't trust, various pins, and an extra anvil):
View attachment 403408

I also got some really nice abrasive files. The eBay listing called them "moldmaker stones," but I'll confess that I don't really understand the distinction. They're fairly coarse, but they're finer than the rough India stone abrasive files I have. They're also super thin which should let me reach hard-to-deburr spots.
View attachment 403409

EDIT: After 30 seconds of Googling, I've learned that moldmaker stones are just abrasive files that are made from black silicon carbide. Works for me.
You can trust a Starrett standard.
Starrett recommends NOT having a .0001 vernier on an anvil mic, due to possible deflection.....

My old Taft-Peirce surface grinder is on it's last legs, so I've been looking around just to see what is available. I didn't think I would find anything local, at least without waiting and watching for a while...

But I was wrong... I went and picked this up this morning...

View attachment 402334

View attachment 402335

It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but a Micromaster was on my short list of grinders to watch for, it was local, (@35 miles), and it's an 818 instead of a 618... who doesn't need an extra 2 inches every now and then?

Now I have to figure out how to get it off the trailer...

-Bear

The grinder is off the trailer...

I'm not sure if this was really a good way to lift it, but it worked good...

View attachment 402615

View attachment 402616

View attachment 402617

I managed it without any damage to the trailer, the floor, the grinder, or me... nothing ever touched the table, spindle, or handles while raising and lowering it. It was actually easier than I thought it would be... but I'm always nervous when I have a machine swinging 3 feet off the floor.

-Bear

The last few days, I've been working on getting the grinder set up. I've moved it into it's 'permanent' home, leveled it as close as I could get it, and ran power to it.

My chinesium precision level worked pretty well to level it... this level is sensitive!

20220405_161207.jpg

After getting it wired and running, I put an indicator on the wheel cover and checked the flatness of the chuck... it was not perfectly flat, so I decided to grind the chuck. There were two low areas in the chuck...

20220406_191614.jpg

I ground about .003" off to clean up, then set up a mist system for the final grind.

I've had this old Wesco Tool Mist system for a couple of years, but have never used it... it is a twin nozzle system with seperate controls for each nozzle...

20220408_112820.jpg

20220408_112833.jpg

It's not in great condition, but works good.

Using the mist with Kool-Mist coolant, I finished grinding the chuck...

20220408_112846.jpg

There are a few 'woops' marks on the chuck, but that won't hurt anything...

-Bear

Those are very late models of the FP-1, bottom one has the tilt table. Both have the overarm for the horizontal mode. It's the perfect match to that new Super 11
some of things i am going to make will require a long table.. so i am looking at bridgeport style mills that i can fit in the garage.. 42 or 48 table

Back