What Did You Buy Today?

I paid off 25% of our consumer debt (consumer debt defined as “all of our debt, not counting the mortgage”) in one shot, by way of cashing out a whopping 5 weeks of vacation. The withholding is nasty on vacation cashout; I only received 60% of the gross.

This leaves me with 1 week off, and, instead of having 5 weeks of glorious shop time, I will labor for 330 hours.

The good news is that this personal loan was for *lathe tooling*, & it had the highest interest rate of all our debt at 10.1%. I still have & enjoy using all of this equipment!

Last edited:
I paid off 25% of our consumer debt (consumer debt defined as “all of our debt, not counting the mortgage”) in one shot, by way of cashing out a whopping 5 weeks of vacation. The withholding is nasty on vacation cashout; I only received 60% of the gross.

This leaves me with 1 week off, and, instead of having 5 weeks of glorious shop time, I will labor for 330 hours.

The good news is that this personal loan was for *lathe tooling*, & it had the highest interest rate of all our debt at 10.1%. I still have & enjoy using all of this equipment!

330/5 = 66

You're working 66 hours per week on a regular basis? Or, did I misunderstand what you wrote?

330/5 = 66

You're working 66 hours per week on a regular basis? Or, did I misunderstand what you wrote?
Yes. I work five 12-hour days M-F, and a 6-hour day on Sat.: 26 hours of OT every week.

If I wanted to, I could work up to 35 hours per week OT (which I just did for 9 months), or reduce my OT down to 15 hours per week.

I will minimize the OT when I have zero consumer debt. For me, it is all about shop time; I am buying the tools, & then I will use them for thousands of hours.

I only get to work in the shop on Saturday mornings, all day Sundays, holidays, vacation and sick days, to the extent that I am not interrupted.

I retire in 9 years, 2 months.

Last edited:
There was a time I worked several 84 hour weeks, seven 12s and no off days. After three or four weeks my mind was so befuddled, I went to the local laundromat and on leaving made a left turn instead of right. On a motorcycle in Birmingham and didn't realize my mistake until the road ended in Panama City, Fla at the Gulf of Mexico. Those 84 hour weeks were hard and I just didn't realize my mistake. Ride to live, live to ride. . . I quit that job a short time later, didn't get fired.

That was a long time ago but I remember it well. Just bought a new toy, a gear puller. I have seen several designs for years but they didn't have the form I wanted or needed. The motor is a little over an inch long, the gear is a quarter inch diameter. Small tools for small minds, I suppose.
1649507995111.pngThe puller:
The screw portion is 10mm by 1.25, call it 3/8-24. I haven't measured the thread, don't really care, it works. The middle punch is what I needed, 1.9mm shaft size, 2mm less 0.1 for clearance. I'll put a dimple in the end of the punch and use it as a wheel puller as well. Very well made, steel not ZAMAK. I am quite pleased. . .

I bought items for my welding fixture stand project:

36C9D2EA-6DD2-4428-96FF-2EB00337B566.jpeg

I did not show a picture of the gallon of Evapo-Rust.

Today I will get all the parts for an old chuck into the Evapo-Rust for an overnight soaking.

The flap disk & wire wheel is for finishing the last arm on the fixture stand.

The hitch pins are for connecting the items on this arm.

EDIT: I should have bought 2 gallons of Evapo-Rust! I am making this harder than it needs to be.

Last edited:
Back