What Did You Buy Today?

Last edited:
Making a floating lock drill press vise like the one Mr. Pete made... Ordered all the materias that I am missing...

1" x 1-1/4" x 11-1/2"-Long A-36 Hot Rolled Steel Flat Bar
1045 Precision Shaft Steel Round Bar 1/2" Dia x 12"-Long
2' Threaded rod 1/2"-13 Thread Size
1' 12L14 Carbon Steel Rod 5/8" Diameter
1/2" Hot Rolled Steel Sheet Plate 4"X 12" Flat Bar A36
3/16" Hot Rolled Steel Sheet Plate 4"X 12" Flat Bar A36

Last edited:
Visited my local metal supplier yesterday to take a look at the drop racks. Came home with about 32 feet of 1-1/2", 1/8" wall square tubing in lengths of 2-6 feet, and about 10" of 2-3/4" round mystery stainless (it is kind of rusty so hoping its 303, 416 or another of the less stainless but more easily machined varieties). Paid $81 for all, checking prices for new, 32 feet of tubing would have cost over $200 and a foot of 2-3/4" stainless round bar about the same.

I need to make a stand for my Atlas shaper and this tubing should do nicely. Anyone know any tricks for figuring out what flavor the mystery stainless is?

Visited my local metal supplier yesterday to take a look at the drop racks. Came home with about 32 feet of 1-1/2", 1/8" wall square tubing in lengths of 2-6 feet, and about 10" of 2-3/4" round mystery stainless (it is kind of rusty so hoping its 303, 416 or another of the less stainless but more easily machined varieties). Paid $81 for all, checking prices for new, 32 feet of tubing would have cost over $200 and a foot of 2-3/4" stainless round bar about the same.

I need to make a stand for my Atlas shaper and this tubing should do nicely. Anyone know any tricks for figuring out what flavor the mystery stainless is?

If it's a 300 series alloy, it may not hold a magnet at all. If it's more than very slightly magnetic, it's probably not a 300 series alloy.

@Steve-F is quicker on the draw. :grin:

300 series is non-magnetic as stated above because it contains no iron , thus it can't be hardened . 400 series and alloys containing iron are magnetic . Pretty simple . :)

I picked up a Lufkin wiggler 2weeks ago. It got lost after he packed it, it fell behind some boxes. I finally got it today..
It's much different working than the NORK I have. But for the NORK I only have the indicator holder. The lufkin tightens from the back end like a draw bar but pushes out, the nork is like a normal collet in a dremel. Turns out that the tips fit the NORK too, so I can have 2 different wigglers loaded and ready to go. After playing with it for a few minutes, I like it better than the edge finder. Much easier to get a reading. I am sure I will see the down sides once I start using it. I like the little 0.100 tip. I can use it inside small holes. Before putting a test indicator in the hole or a gauge pin in and indicate it.

Back