What Did You Buy Today?

what is the advantage over the tailstock mounted chuck?

Tool post mounted drill is much quicker to retract & feed for peck drilling using the carriage. Much slower process using the tailstock when deep drilling. Not lmited by the travel of the tailstock quill. That's what led me to get this. Recently I had to drill something longer than my tailstick quill travel. Had to advance the tailstock to be able to finish drilling. Got the job done but this would have made it easier. Also if you have a DRO & no DRO on the tailstock this makes quick use of that.

I'm not using this solely now. I'll still use the tailstock primarily. Just handy when I need it to make things easier.

Stepson brought some goodies.
Couple of speed indicators. The Federal is sweet, it's going to need some TLC, the crystal is loose in the box and the bezel is rusted.
Mitutoyo is going to need a good going over.
View attachment 308641
Well, got the Mitu digital indicator cleaned up and working. Haven't checked calibration yet - sun went down, got chilly in the shop.
R__1226191844.jpg

Got a 4-jaw chuck and backing plate for my NEW LATHE!!!
(I’m a mite excited!)
emoji16.png

Get a protractor yet ? :)

Got me the M18 cordless jobsite fan, Christmas present from one of my lil brothers. It's like one of those things I would never buy for myself but will come in handy now that I have one. Runs on AC too but unfortuantely it uses an AC adapter.

Wish the AC adapter was built into the unit so all you have to do is plug in an extension cord like other brands of cordless fans but whatever, I'm not complaining.

20191226_212139.jpg

Got me some new socket holders for some of my impact sockets. The sockets lock in & stay secure with a 1/4 turn and each rail can be removed from the tray. I'm really liking these.

20191227_152011.jpg20191227_220704.jpg20191227_220850.jpg

Went from this:
20191227_220545.jpg20191227_152030.jpg

To this:
20191227_181104.jpg

Will, do you use them, or just have them to look at? :grin: I need to look into that brand mine are Snap On.:rolleyes:

Snap On the brand , or Snap on the socket holders ? :big grin: And Will , I see you still have that dirty rag bucket ! :encourage:

Will, do you use them, or just have them to look at? :grin: I need to look into that brand mine are Snap On.:rolleyes:

Just been looking at them for the past 5 months or so. :laughing:

Haven't actually used them yet. I have other impact sockets that I normally use. I won't buy anything Craftsman anymore, not even if it's a good deal. It has to be a really great deal which is how I ended up with these. And the SB&D Craftsman stuff I will never buy.

I've never owned any 3/8" impact sockets, not a set anyway. I would just use my chrome Snap-On sockets, my dealer always gave me the stink eye when I broke one but he always exchanged them. Matco wouldn't exchange them if he saw impact marks which is understandable but is the same reason I don't own any chrome Matco sockets.

The shallow & deep 3/8" impact sets I got for like $7 through points. And not much more for the 1/2" shallow set. Felt like I stole them from Sears. No wonder they are struggling to stay in business. The 1/2" deep set I got on ebay only cause I got the other sets & wanted a "complete" set. Didn't really need them but they were cheap. Yeah they are the China made ones but they should do fine for me. I have only ever broke one impact socket in my lifetime which was Matco but it was a thin wall from a lugnut socket set sold for use with aftermarket wheels.

Back