What Did You Buy Today?

With any machine is needed tooling. Last machine i bought was a tire machine, that means i need a bigger air compressor. After few options i decided i'll make me one, one piece i was missing was a one way valve. I've ordered first the silver one and it was too small also the quality was very bad, then i order the brass one wich should work. As i use the tire machine i've noticed i have to remove the wheel weights they can rip the tire and scratch the rim. Wheel weight pliers come from kosovo and they were not cheap, last thing i bought was this quick air chuck, makes inflating tires quick and easy, also allows me to get in on dual wheels to get to the inner valve. A bit specific but very useful tools for me.
IMG_20221003_203858.jpgIMG_20221003_203912.jpgIMG_20221003_203923.jpg

I have a project in mind that may take some parts smaller than what I’d do on my 12x36.

But mainly it’s just a sickness….
As it happens, both of my machines (C'man 12X36 and Grizzly 9X19) have the same spindle nose, 1-1/2X8 and MT3. Not really happenstance, I sorta browsed looking for common points when I acquired the C'man. Because so much of my work is small for my model building, I have "devised" a number of adaptors to use chucks and fixtures from my UniMat DB-200. Of particular interest is the 3 inch (75mm?) 3 and 4 jaw chucks. In addition, I had stumbled across another 3 jaw threaded for M12X1 with a MT2 shank. All of these have adapters dedicated for MT3 on the spindle. Some home brew, some bought. In every case, using the big machines is seemingly more difficult, but overall so much easier that I have "disposed" of the UniMat and a 6X12 Chinese machine. (ie: they were sold off)

The UniMat wouldn't cut threads so easily, requiring pattern pieces. And the 6X12, well, I have the same capabilities in a 9X19, so why bother. The 6X12 is small, but not so small I can use it at my desk. Mostly because of the plethora of tooling that goes along with it. Using the "big" machines for small work took some getting used to, but they hold the same, or better, tolerances than the small machines. What tooling I keep at my desk is so I don't need to run next door for a 3 square Swiss warding file or to drill a 1/2 millimeter hole.

Is it a sickness, I suppose so. To me, it's an obsession. Which to a "shrink" is a sickness. But then I think of "experts" as has beens under pressure. (ex spurts) A "sickness" I welcome. . .

Odds and ends dribbling in, to support my ELS build. Received some 80x80mm fan grills to ventilate the motor control box. Also received a rivnut set tool and a pile of mandrels for SAE and metric. Included were an assortment of rivnuts. Haven't received the bigger assortment of rivnuts, yet. What comes with the tool is just enough to get you in trouble, but not quite enough to finish the job.
PXL_20221019_014649880.jpgPXL_20221019_014710282.jpg

Have been considering the GMT, for the 833tv, 5 inch or 6? You know that they say that bigger is better, but there can be too much of a good thing
Check the length of the vises. Too much overhang is not a good thing and can get in your way. Find a shoebox or a piece of wood about that long and see how it "feels" on the table. Might make it easier to visualize and make a decision.

That being said, 6" vises are more common and there are lots of cheap supplies for them. I have a 4" Kurt and the premade jaws (of all sorts) have less suppliers than what you can find for the 6".

Check the length of the vises. Too much overhang is not a good thing and can get in your way. Find a shoebox or a piece of wood about that long and see how it "feels" on the table. Might make it easier to visualize and make a decision.

That being said, 6" vises are more common and there are lots of cheap supplies for them. I have a 4" Kurt and the premade jaws (of all sorts) have less suppliers than what you can find for the 6".
That's a good idea, never thought of that

Back