What Did You Buy Today?

Added some SCLCR boring bars and a couple of BXA holders for them....I can't seem to get enough tool holders! Also bought a Mitutoyo 2803S-10 indicator from Ideal Precision. Next up...another NOGA stand, solid carbide boring bars, rotary table, etc, etc, etc :grin:

IMG_2978.JPGIMG_2979.JPG

It's probably not as precise, but my little rotary fits in my DX6. I ran an indicator over the table and it was within 2 thou. Good enough for the simpler stuff. If I were to do something that needs real precision or heavy cuts, I would mount it to the table directly. Of course, "heavy cuts" on a 6" RT is likely not all that heavy in the grand scheme of things.
It struck me (not too hard, it didn't hurt) reading the "fuss" about rotary tables here that an indexing head is just a rotary table with fraction plates added. A rotary table has a taller gear ratio, sure. I have one that is 72:1(?) that is fitted with fraction plates as a retrofit. A dividing head usually has a lower gear ratio of 40:1, making the calculations easier. But the rotary table with a fraction plate fitted does do a larger number of divisions.

The 72:1 is a divisor to 360, making degree divisions simpler. With the addition of fraction plates, it divides by the fraction of the plates rather than degrees. Is this information really useful? I doubt it, I am just in a "strange thoughts" mode and expressin myself in public.

Back