What Did You Buy Today?

@mattthemuppet2 is still selling tooling for about 5 to 15 cents on the dollar!

I sent him $400, & he sent all of this. About 2/3 of it is carbide, & quality brands at that!

View attachment 431102

Close up pictures:

View attachment 431103

View attachment 431104

I don’t know how Matt is able to sell the stuff so cheap, but I encourage him to keep doing what he’s doing, & I encourage you guys to get in on it.

There will come a day when I am retired, on a pension, & not able to afford an endmill, much less a quality carbide one. Matt solved this problem 20 years before it came up!
Too bad I live a million kilometers and an ocean away.

-3 F this morning, buuuurrrr. Made the trip to Fort Collins yesterday. Twelve hrs. round trip over two 10k' passes, including loading up the machine. Saw some amazing Christmas lighting in the middle of nowhere. Today I have to move things around in the shop to make room for mill, get it unloaded with the backhoe, and clean out all the equipment from the truck, and trailer. Sun is shinning now and up to 20F. After I'm done, think I'm gonna take a day or two off. The mill is an Acra 10x54, 3hp, Variable speed 60-4200rpm, 3,420#. Has virtually no backlash in any axis and a totally clean table. Picked up the mill for $2250, and the vise, a Jacobs chuck, fly cutter, two insert cutter, full R-8 collet set, along with 162 end-mills in every flute count and size up to 3/4". Most of them still in wax, and only two that need sharpening for the princely sum of $150. Pretty happy with the purchase. Now I have to decide whether to sell the BP. Will post a few pics of the mill Once I get it inside. Cheers, Mike

https://i.imgur.com/AN7Evtg.jpg[/img]']
https://i.imgur.com/KmwDTpg.jpg[/img]']
https://i.imgur.com/KDMcCkR.jpg[/img]']
https://i.imgur.com/9PQ7iWC.jpg[/img]']

View attachment 430392
Mike........,IMO
:you suck:

I think you got a hell of a nice deal. Congrats and enjoy the the new toy.

Michael.

My 80-year-old father is going to pass down to me his father’s Craftsman bandsaw this weekend. My dad has really bad tremors, so he cannot do anything in the shop.

My grandfather bought this bandsaw new in about 1970. My Dad & grandfather only worked with wood, so the original metal blade has never been installed.

This a cool development because I definitely need to stop spending money on things, & I am (barely) able to squeeze one more machine in the garage.

This same bandsaw was ever-present in my childhood. I have childhood memories of being with my grandfather in his woodshop, so it is nice that the tradition continues 50 years later.

Not exactly a machining thing, but useful for making things for machines:

View attachment 431915
Leather sewing patcher. Great for things like canvas dust covers, bags, holders, sheaths, etc…

I got one as well... could not leave it alone and added a base and motor to it... lol... That thing will go through almost anything!! For the price it can't be beat...

Sewing Machine-2.JPG

Last edited:
I got one as well... could not leave it alone and added a base and motor to it... lol... That thing will go through almost anything!! For the price it can't be beat...

View attachment 431970

Cool. I've got the same servo motor on order and I'll probably make a stand from some scrap 1/4" plate (and the plasma cutter) I have lying around like this gent did:

I want mine good and heavy as it will sit on a slick table top (will be adding non slip rubber feet too) and be stored most of the time as I only have limited use for something like a patcher. But when you need one, nothing else will do....

I'm also planning to "re-manufacture" it like this gent did:

He basically takes the frame and re-manufactures everything into a smoother, higher quality machine. Nice machining project and a nicer patcher at the end of the job. I really like the brass bits he added. Gives it a nice turn-of-the-century "brass era" look.

Proves that sometimes you actually can "make a silk purse from a sows ear".

Win-Win.

Last edited:
That "chinese sewing leather patcher" isn't a unique design, even though it may look like it. Like all chinese products, it's just a rip off of someone else's work:

IMG_20160911_210453.jpg.0084dbf6c8ef5622d09d12eeb641a725.jpg

Bradbury cobbler machine. 1800's -ish.

Made by a few other brands as well.

China doesn't really make anything, they just copy existing designs......whether it's new or old. It's how they make profit: no/minimal R&D, all production at the lowest possible cost. That 's why all their stuff looks so raw. Finishing work and QA is one of the most expensive parts of manufacturing. They just don't do it....unless someone contracts them to do it.

Last edited:
Back