What Did You Buy Today?

Ooh, just arrived! This will probably see more work than the others, 8" has a better RPM range and finer clamping than the big man chucks.

Just like the man said, new in box. When I saw the... thing... on the end of the chuck key, I shrieked like a teenage girl who spotted a mouse. I threw it on the ground and stomped on it until it was dead. I don't do those socketed bit flip-flop screwdrivers, and I don't do chuck key springs. Both are banned from my shop. I'm going to make a sign.
View attachment 432403
I know, my new chuck came with one, I had no idea, chucked the chuck spring, of course I didn't throw it away. Put it somewhere secure, so I can look for it later, when I need a spring.

IMG_9877-dsqz.JPG

A 3D printed CXA holder for two indicators. One for face measurement and the other for turning measurement. Much quicker and easier than a Noga for indicating in a workpiece in a 4-jaw.

Rick “cheap” Denney

Received some re-ground carbide end mills from ebay today. Not sure just what I'm going to do with a 7/8" diamter ball end mill, but the rest should be useful. IMG_20230107_150122416.jpg

Also, found a Machinery's handbook (17th edition) at a local thrift store. I made a Hemingway kits rotary broach as a Christmas gift, but still need to make the actual broaches. Page 1070b will be very useful in this endeavor, as it shows the tolerance for the hex sockets....At least I now know what dimensions I should be shooting for.
IMG_20230107_213510720.jpg
I haven't found a chart for metric hex sockets, but it's probably in there somewhere....

I shouldn’t be buying anything until I pay off my debts, but this purchase snuck through the new rule:

4F4C43F9-38B6-4550-9756-3DAF51DBED9E.png

I am hoping that it will pay for itself since I have 12 gas cylinders.

Most of the time that I am in the shop now involves having argon, C25, oxygen and/or acetylene in use.

I also refilled an 80 cu. ft. oxygen cylinder for a whopping $55. I knocked out this task before work on a long (11 hours paid) work day.

Last edited:
Received some re-ground carbide end mills from ebay today. Not sure just what I'm going to do with a 7/8" diamter ball end mill, but the rest should be useful. View attachment 432615

Also, found a Machinery's handbook (17th edition) at a local thrift store. I made a Hemingway kits rotary broach as a Christmas gift, but still need to make the actual broaches. Page 1070b will be very useful in this endeavor, as it shows the tolerance for the hex sockets....At least I now know what dimensions I should be shooting for.

I haven't found a chart for metric hex sockets, but it's probably in there somewhere....
I seriously doubt you'll find much if any metric information in the 17th edition of the Machinery Handbook. That edition was likely written in the late 1960's or early 1970's. I have over a dozen different editions ranging from the 2nd to the 30th. About the earliest mention of metrics is the 22nd edition which was written in the mid 1980's.

I shouldn’t be buying anything until I pay off my debts, but this purchase snuck through the new rule:

View attachment 432623

I am hoping that it will pay for itself since I have 12 gas cylinders.

Most of the time that I am in the shop now involves having argon, C25, oxygen and/or acetylene in use.

I also refilled an 80 cu. ft. oxygen cylinder for a whopping $55. I knocked out this task before work on a long (11 hours paid) work day.
Soapy water for $28? I use a childs bubble solution and add water. Why bubble solution? it makes better bubbles than the soap I use around the house.

I seriously doubt you'll find much if any metric information in the 17th edition of the Machinery Handbook. That edition was likely written in the late 1960's or early 1970's. I have over a dozen different editions ranging from the 2nd to the 30th. About the earliest mention of metrics is the 22nd edition which was written in the mid 1980's.
You're right no metric in there. Book is dated 1964 on the frontispiece. That's OK, as the SAE dimensions give me a good idea of how close to nominal I should try to make metric ones....

-Pete

Soapy water for $28? I use a childs bubble solution and add water. Why bubble solution? it makes better bubbles than the soap I use around the house.
I like the bubble solution option.

At work, checking for leaks on oxygen lines on air medical aircraft, I'm required to use a mil-spec solution. We use Sherlock Leak detector. Inexplicably the solution has a shelf life, after which I can't use it at work, so the expired stuff is what I use at home. Can't imagine anything in that solution actually goes bad....

-Pete

The difference is that once the water evaporates from the soapy water, the residue is flammable... not good when dealing with cutting or welding gases.

The leak detector is not supposed to be flammable...

The bubble solution is usually glycerin... I don't know whether the residue is flammable or not, but it is very similar to soap.

I've read where soapy water is recommended... but only if you remove all traces of it when finished.

-Bear

Back