What Did You Buy Today?

I picked up another Turner Uni-Drive gearbox...

20230211_101549.jpg

It is in decent condition externally... internally, there are no broken gears or other parts.

20230211_101408.jpg

Now I have another transmission for a lathe project.

-Bear

Of course, as soon as you pull the trigger on an eBay sale something comes up locally on Craigslist. I bought this motor today for $25, seller says it came from a commercial HVAC unit and was running a big fan. I'll use this one on my mill and the one I ordered on my 2 x 72 belt grinder.

IMG_2307.jpegIMG_2308.jpeg
IMG_2309.jpeg
IMG_2310.jpeg
IMG_2311.jpeg

Looks like it might even just bolt up with all those holes on the mounting plate, otherwise I'll make an adapter....

John

With all those wires, that may be a VFD-controlled motor. Heat pumps evolved to VFD's pretty early. That motor may have been run by an integrated VFD that was installed in the system control unit, and need a separate VFD controller in order to work.

When my heat pump circulation fan motor died (and I am still not sure it was the motor and not the control circuit) I had to get a universal motor and a separate, generic control unit. The control came with good directions, and was pretty easy to hook up. If I remember right, the interface with the original heat pump control involved an input that varied RPM, so it might only take adding a potentiometer to select RPM.

wouldn't a vfd controlled motor need less wiring. Since it's frequency based, it would only need three wires.
I have a blower fan and it is old style manual control (many wires), it just needs to switch which wires to control fan speed.

With all those wires, that may be a VFD-controlled motor. Heat pumps evolved to VFD's pretty early. That motor may have been run by an integrated VFD that was installed in the system control unit, and need a separate VFD controller in order to work.

When my heat pump circulation fan motor died (and I am still not sure it was the motor and not the control circuit) I had to get a universal motor and a separate, generic control unit. The control came with good directions, and was pretty easy to hook up. If I remember right, the interface with the original heat pump control involved an input that varied RPM, so it might only take adding a potentiometer to select RPM.
I hooked it up to a vfd I already had and it runs great. That's wyh I wanted it, now I'll be able to change the speed of my mill without changing belts. I just used the regular L1-3 and the ground wire.

John

Be safe cleaning and moving that beast.
When you're ready to post more up-close photo's the folks here will help with collet and chuck ID.

Congrats on the new mill!

Brian
I tried to move this post to the wells Index group but couldn’t get it figured out. I made a new post there and have pics of the collet Chuck and et Chuck nut.

Back