What Did You Buy Today?

Nice! Just by creating the account they send the stuff, don’t need to request it?

Bought this Barnes metal lathe at an auction Saturday. 1920’s vintage, many were originally foot powered. A screw making lathe I think. Not too much wrong with it, just gunked up really bad. The 1 1/2 motor with it truns if manually started, but I have a 1/2 horse to try on it. Needs a chuck. Worst thing is the auction guys broke the nice cast tailstock leg unloading it, welded it with mild steel rods. Broke again as we loaded it. Guess I need to buy some NiCL rods if they still make them. Drive pulley got broke in the crash too. Will be running soon.

Attachments

• E6930693-99C6-4E00-8F53-C3C7EC0F4616.jpeg
    E6930693-99C6-4E00-8F53-C3C7EC0F4616.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 34
I think those types of men like to call them "kilts" and feel the need to tell you they're not wearing anything underneath.

:shhh:

Bought this Barnes metal lathe at an auction Saturday. 1920’s vintage, many were originally foot powered. A screw making lathe I think. Not too much wrong with it, just gunked up really bad. The 1 1/2 motor with it truns if manually started, but I have a 1/2 horse to try on it. Needs a chuck. Worst thing is the auction guys broke the nice cast tailstock leg unloading it, welded it with mild steel rods. Broke again as we loaded it. Guess I need to buy some NiCL rods if they still make them. Drive pulley got broke in the crash too. Will be running soon.
Try a gentle torch pre-heat on the leg and weld it up with Stoody/ESAB Castweld 55 nickel. Cover with a blanket to cool. Piece of cake!

Got some cool mail today:

View attachment 439605

I don’t remember where on the forum I heard about the free Starrett posters etc…. but thanks to everyone that may have suggested it in all the different places!
(I’ll suggest it again here to pass it on! Make an account on Starrett’s website (no credit card needed) and they’ll mail you stuff for FREE!!! :laughing:

…into the horde it goes!!!

View attachment 439606
Got my packet today also: already had downloaded the catalog (a lot easier to search than a hardcopy), went ahead and downloaded & ordered the Tools & Rules booklet, Wall Chart & the 2022 edition of the Story. Also got a couple of Metric cards and a handful of the memo pads. I just wish that they would provide the wall chart rolled up rather than folded.

Nice! Just by creating the account they send the stuff, don’t need to request it?
No, you need to request it. Check the boxes for stuff you want. Not too hard though.

I thought about the little postcard tables but decided against it. But yes. I immediately had a use for one the day after I ordered it all *sigh*.

I can do all that on my phone, but a quick easy reference would have been faster. Oh well!

Try a gentle torch pre-heat on the leg and weld it up with Stoody/ESAB Castweld 55 nickel. Cover with a blanket to cool. Piece of cake!
Does the cast need to be beveled to let the nickel rod reach to middle ( all the way to center from each side)?

Bought this Barnes metal lathe at an auction Saturday.
Nice!
My old Barnes 9" has two lead screws, one turning in each direction and the carriage nut locked to one or the the other to reverse the feed.
It is currently at my brothers place, so I cannot go look at it.

It looks like a hole where a lead-screw should be (yellow circle below). Does it have a lead-screw?
Also, what is the handle in the orange circle below....mine didn't have that...

Thanks,
Brian

ScreenShot061b.jpg

Back