What Did You Buy Today?

Stryker saw — now there’s a whole new world of shiny tools to pore over! I had no idea…

Edit: Sorry, before anyone gets led astray, no I didn’t buy one. Just searched them out and fell into the rabbit hole.
Absolutely! Rabbit hole indeed!
Although I was introduced to Fein oscillation tools (and thoroughly impressed with the quality!) in the early 2000's, I did NOT know it originated as the cast saw that was used on me too many times in my youth! Apparently, Striker sourced it from Fein?

I remember wanting a Fein badly but wasn't able to justify the cost as a DIY guy. Then in 2009 their patent expired and everyone including Harbor Freight had them...

(none of them, including my Milwaukee M12 are anywhere near a smooth or nice as thoise Feins...)

Although I was introduced to Fein oscillation tools (and thoroughly impressed with the quality!) in the early 2000's, I did NOT know it originated as the cast saw that was used on me too many times in my youth! Apparently, Striker sourced it from Fein?

I somehow have a hazy recollection of medical origins for this type of tool. Thanks a lot for this information!

Although I was introduced to Fein oscillation tools (and thoroughly impressed with the quality!) in the early 2000's, I did NOT know it originated as the cast saw that was used on me too many times in my youth!
I can clearly remember almost 53 years ago going to the Orthopod for a what I thought was a follow-up on a walking cast that the UVA ER had put on me the week before, and the attendant wheeling a strange contraption over to me and me asking him: "What's that for?" The doc then cam in and said he thought it could come off (the cast, not the leg). Maybe I remember it so well as I was sitting next to an attractive young lady in the waiting room when a nurse came in cradling one of the largest white rabbits I'd ever see. She asked the receptionist if she had a trash bag, then loaded the (apparently) dead rabbit into the bag and left. The girl asked me if she should be worried, so I told her, "not unless they come in with a really big trash bag;" it didn't seem to comfort her, and she wasn't there when I left so I couldn't follow up.

We just paid a 5% fee to Discover for a balance transfer. For this $671.20 fee, Discover will pay off $13,424 of our c/c debt (which was at an average of 24% APR) and give us 12 months to pay it all off, at a rate of 0%.

However, the catch is that 28% or so back interest on $13,424 is suddenly added on if we fail to pay off every penny in 12 months or less. This is the proverbial sword of Damacles.

I looked back at what constituted this large debt. It was gas cylinders, gas, tool holders/boring and threading bars/inserts from Aloris, the delivery charges for the rigging company that delivered the engine lathe and knee mill, the 20% down payment on the knee mill, 2 Glacern face mills with inserts, and other tooling for the big lathe & mill. There was also a tune-up for our car, and finally a few veterinary bills for our beloved dogs.

Last edited:
We just paid a 5% fee to Discover for a balance transfer. For this $576.50 fee, Discover will pay off $10,730 of our c/c debt (which was at 22% APR) and give us 12 months to pay it all off, at a rate of 0%.

However, the catch is that 28% or so back interest on $10,730 is suddenly added on if we fail to pay off every penny in 12 months or less. This is the proverbial sword of Damacles.

I looked back at what constituted this large debt. It was mostly gas cylinders, gas, tool holders/boring and threading bars/inserts from Aloris, the delivery charges for the rigging company that delivered the engine lathe and knee mill, the 20% down payment on the knee mill, and 2 Glacern face mills with inserts.
Debt is kinda like weight, easy going on much harder to get rid of....
Good luck. We had one of those deals with some dental bills on my kids once, a WORD of advice MAKE REAL sure you have it down to ZERO as much as a month ahead, the company sat on out last check before posting it, was quite a battle to prove was sent before the deadline.
Jim

Back