What Did You Buy Today?

Ditron rocks! Question, why glass rather than magnetic?

John

Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 10-42-41 56.56C$ 1pcs_set Metal mini milling Machine duplicate gears ...png

Metal H/L gear for my CX600 mill (same as G0704/BF20/etc)....stripped the plastic one and that was enough of that.

Belt conversions are expensive and this was 40 bucks CAD. There's still a plastic gear in the drivetrain, its just not buried deep down in the bowels of the gear head.....Sits on the top of the head next to the motor. Unbolt the motor plate and it's removable with a simple circlip. The way it should have been built in the first place.

Eff "Busy Bee Co." and thier 80 dollar, 6-8 month backlog BS.....

Last edited:
Just a word of caution when replacing gears. Most machines have a sacrificial gear that will strip or otherwise be destroyed in the event of a crash. The part is designed to break before damage is done to more critical parts like the spindle, carriage or lead screw. My Sheldon has a phenolic gear in the drive train primarily for that reason. It also helps quiet the drivetrain.

Just a word of caution when replacing gears. Most machines have a sacrificial gear that will strip or otherwise be destroyed in the event of a crash. The part is designed to break before damage is done to more critical parts like the spindle, carriage or lead screw. My Sheldon has a phenolic gear in the drive train primarily for that reason. It also helps quiet the drivetrain.
As I mentioned, there's still a plastic gear in the drivetrain at the motor so no worries. One sacrificial link is just good design, two is bad design that ultimately leads to unnecessary failures.

Also, lets not kid ourselves: they added a second plastic gear to reduce manufacturing costs, not to protect the drivetrain from crashes. This gear is not easy to manufacture, so plastic reduces the costs. There's no other justifyable reason to have more than one plastic gear in the drivetrain.

I did the same thing on my 7x lathe, metal gear on the spindle and plastic on the countershaft.

Ditron rocks! Question, why glass rather than magnetic?

John
Not sure who you are asking. But for myself, I bought glass because it was self contained and lower cost.

Previously I had a magnetic scale, and the set up I had was prone to misalignment issues and got contaminated with chips. The old scales I had were a low resolution tape and from the limited shopping I did, it was less expensive for me to upgrade to glass.

There are advantages to using magnetic scales though. The read heads can be much smaller and easier to install, particularly in the X axis of a lathe. Also, one can simply get x meters of tape and cut to what you need.

I have glass scales on my mill and they have been problem free (almost). I had mag scales on my lathe and didn't really like them, but that might have been to their strange 0.001" resolution. So I decided to use glass... Life doesn't always have to make sense...

Over the weekend, I met a man who had some machine pedestals for sale.... I came home with two...

A Baldor grinder stand...

20230424_082917.jpg

And an unknown stand that I'm planning to mount a vise on...

20230424_082539.jpg

The vise wasn't included. Does anyone recognize this stand? I'm curious what if originally fit. It is similar to the old Porter-Cable stands, but the ones I've found pictures of all had the company name cast in the base...

-Bear

Over the weekend, I met a man who had some machine pedestals for sale.... I came home with two...

View attachment 445588

View attachment 445589

The vise wasn't included. Does anyone recognize this stand? I'm curious what if originally fit. It is similar to the old Porter-Cable stands, but the ones I've found pictures of all had the company name cast in the base...

-Bear
may be wrong, but I think that is an old tire machine stand

View attachment 445588

View attachment 445589

-Bear
oh man Bear you have to make use of that foot pedal. Mount it so that the foot pedal can attach to a cord and tighten the vise when you are holding the item to be clamped and need a helping hand... I'm thinking a tool to add that is like the old starter cords to lawn mowers where you wrapped it to start it. use a hook to catch that bale on the pedal and a pulley you can slide over the screw and catch the handle..
adjust so its just about to clamp, then put the piece in and step on the pedal... damn.. if you don't want to do that, I'll be right down to GA and pick it up from you :p

Last edited:
View attachment 445589

-Bear

I look at that foot pedal and all I can think is that would be a great pedestal for a shrinker/stretcher....

Back