What Did You Buy Today?

Hey Ivel03 , how's your filter plant doing up in Cortland ?
Are you talking about Pall/ Pall Trinity? If so i guess it's doing OK. I heard they're not doing as much/any? R&D there any longer so i guess it's just a factory now?

Are you talking about Pall/ Pall Trinity? If so i guess it's doing OK. I heard they're not doing as much/any? R&D there any longer so i guess it's just a factory now?
That would be the one . Heard they had layoffs a while back and we picked up a few of their people at our plant . We had 4 plants here , we are down to one at this point . I've been up there a couple of times coming back from the mountains .

My neighbor right across the street is a ***very nosy*** & mentally unstable jerk. He has called the cops on me twice in 4 years for my metalworking. There will probably come a day when he calls the police again, & the friendly local policeman will be standing in my shop looking at these welding curtains.

This also reminds me of a funny story that says a lot about how neighbors are. When I got out of the Army in '05, I was financially secure. I rented a tract house with a garage in a housing development that was built in the 1990s, and was old enough to start showing it's age- cracks from settling slab foundations, heaving sidewalk flags, stuff like that. These houses sold for $90k-120k newly built, but the false economy of housing suddenly made all the homeowners in the neighborhood "rich" by the 2-3x increase in value over 15 years. The point is, all these working class people with entry level homes all thought they were high-class because their house values went up on paper. That turned these people into snobs. I lived in a rural trailer park and knew every neighbor around me, but in this white bread neighborhood, I only knew two brothers who lived kitty corner from each other. I was doing heavy fab on my crawler at the time. I had no job, and my income was secure for the next few years, so I spent a lot of time in the garage. One day, the young kid from across the street comes up to me and says, "hey mister, what do you do for a living?" I laughed my azz off, because that's not a question an 8 year old asks- it's a question an 8 year old repeats!

This also reminds me of a funny story that says a lot about how neighbors are. When I got out of the Army in '05, I was financially secure. I rented a tract house with a garage in a housing development that was built in the 1990s, and was old enough to start showing it's age- cracks from settling slab foundations, heaving sidewalk flags, stuff like that. These houses sold for $90k-120k newly built, but the false economy of housing suddenly made all the homeowners in the neighborhood "rich" by the 2-3x increase in value over 15 years. The point is, all these working class people with entry level homes all thought they were high-class because their house values went up on paper. That turned these people into snobs. I lived in a rural trailer park and knew every neighbor around me, but in this white bread neighborhood, I only knew two brothers who lived kitty corner from each other. I was doing heavy fab on my crawler at the time. I had no job, and my income was secure for the next few years, so I spent a lot of time in the garage. One day, the young kid from across the street comes up to me and says, "hey mister, what do you do for a living?" I laughed my azz off, because that's not a question an 8 year old asks- it's a question an 8 year old repeats!

"They pay me to pi$$ off your parents..."

-Bear

Picked up a two old tool boxes, and a 216 Quincy compressor. The boxes are built like tanks compared to modern stuff. Had to do a little straightening, on the drawers. Both will get cleaned up and painted at some point. The angled storage areas in both boxes should work well for tooling after a little reconfiguration. The compressor is a twin to the one I'm using now, but doesn't have the unloader setup. Really nice quiet units that run forever. Mike

View attachment 446064View attachment 446065View attachment 446066View attachment 446067
I am fond of Quincy compressors. They are quiet, reliable, and put out lots of air.

The grey box looks like one I am familiar with that originally held a valve seat grinder setup. The arbors went in the holes and the driver lived in the big bottom compartment. The stone holders were stored in the middle bins.

I had the same thought as @Provincial about the slant-front box.
I had a mental image of stones/holders hanging on that row of pins near the top.
I looked around a little on Google last night, but couldn't find anything on point.
I tried Black Decker and Sioux, but maybe there were other players too.
It's been a long time. :grin:

Got the Quincy compressor that I recently purchased running yesterday. When it fired up it sounded like someone rattling a can full of bolts and nuts. It quieted down a little after a few seconds, and actually built pressure, but still sounded really bad. Tore it down today, and I've never seen anything like it. The cast iron piston on one cylinder had worn a hole in the thrust side and the crank journal and rod bearing on the other cylinder were trashed. The cylinder bores are actually not bad. The one with the paper thin piston skirt would clean up in under .010, and the other one just needs honing, and that piston is good. Still probably not worth fixing due to exorbitant parts cost. It must have run with little to no oil for quite a while. For what I paid for it ($280) I'm probably not hurt too bad keeping the motor, tank, pressure switch, etc., and ebay the head, crankcase, and a few other parts. Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20230430_115044001_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230430_115044001_HDR.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20230430_121403318_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230430_121403318_HDR.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20230430_123600916_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230430_123600916_HDR.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20230430_123608639_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230430_123608639_HDR.jpg