What Did You Buy Today?

Am on a quick trip from Annapolis, Maryland to Terre Haute, IN with a friend to pick up some antique electric light plant equipment he bought from a guy in St. Louis. The seller met us in Terre Haute. The seller knew a scrap guy in Terre Haute so we went to the scrap yard to look around. I found this cone pulley setup but not sure what it is from...maybe a drill press? The yard owner was a "collector" and was showing us his treasures. I was admiring his beer cans and he gave them to me. I used to collect, so that. I also picked up some unusual wrenches from a guy we know near Zanesville, but I don't have any pics.

Great trip.

Attachments

• 0920230904_HDR.jpg
    0920230904_HDR.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 0920231558a_HDR.jpg
    0920231558a_HDR.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 0920231558_HDR.jpg
    0920231558_HDR.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 30
Bought some organizing bins/ bolt bins. Even got a heavy duty cart with 6” wheels.

Been trying to better organize my shop. Now I have to reevaluate how I was planning to do it.

Some of the bins have some bolts and parts in them. I think I got a deal at $300.

IMG_9108.jpg
IMG_9106.jpg
IMG_9105.jpg
IMG_9107.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@wachuko
I'm curious why you bought two of the tailstock threading die holder kits? Christmas present for . . . ?

PS: I like your thinking regarding not welding casters to things.
I was going to see if someone with more experience would do both kits... with one of the kits being payment and one for me... I still do not have the skill to make something like that...

But the time it takes to do it, is not worth the price for the tool... meaning, I doubt it would be worth it for anyone to do that. So I need to build the courage to tackle it myself...

I was going to see if someone with more experience would do both kits... with one of the kits being payment and one for me... I still do not have the skill to make something like that...

But the time it takes to do it, is not worth the price for the tool... meaning, I doubt it would be worth it for anyone to do that. So I need to build the courage to tackle it myself...

Thank you for the explanation.
I looked up Hemingway online and thought the kit looked like a bargain.
I don't think I could buy the steel for his price.

You can machine it.
One setup at a time. One cut at a time.
That's how you develop your skills. You know where to find help, right?

dude, do the first kit yourself, learn... if you mess up you know what you did for the first, so the second should be easier.
you don't learn having someone else do the work. You bought all this equipment, time to use it, and learn... also learn how to fix your screw ups.
Some here show off the Jewelry, just make something that works... each time you get better. If you are really concerned about how it looks, then go slowly... if you are not learning, you are not going to make it, you are then just a tool collector.

Am on a quick trip from Annapolis, Maryland to Terre Haute, IN with a friend to pick up some antique electric light plant equipment he bought from a guy in St. Louis. The seller met us in Terre Haute. The seller knew a scrap guy in Terre Haute so we went to the scrap yard to look around. I found this cone pulley setup but not sure what it is from...maybe a drill press? The yard owner was a "collector" and was showing us his treasures. I was admiring his beer cans and he gave them to me. I used to collect, so that. I also picked up some unusual wrenches from a guy we know near Zanesville, but I don't have any pics.
Just went thru both towns Dan. :encourage: Buckeye Lake we ate at the diner . Heck , if you need unusual wrenches or old beer cans I have to run down to your place in Easton . I'll restock the place with both ! :grin:

dude, do the first kit yourself, learn... if you mess up you know what you did for the first, so the second should be easier.
you don't learn having someone else do the work. You bought all this equipment, time to use it, and learn... also learn how to fix your screw ups.
Some here show off the Jewelry, just make something that works... each time you get better. If you are really concerned about how it looks, then go slowly... if you are not learning, you are not going to make it, you are then just a tool collector.
Thank you for the explanation.
I looked up Hemingway online and thought the kit looked like a bargain.
I don't think I could buy the steel for his price.

You can machine it.
One setup at a time. One cut at a time.
That's how you develop your skills. You know where to find help, right?

Crap, wrong thread again :D

+1 on the above. Besides, you have two so you have the luxury of being able to screw one of them up!

Thank you for the encouragement... it is the threading man, it is the threading... still have not learned how to do those... Well, I have not even tried to learn how to thread...

Anyway, I will give this a try when all is done with the shop. In the meantime, I chickened out and bought a 7/8" x 27 and, just in case, an M22x1 tap and die to make the threads...

Several videos of folks making these...

So, since I have two kits, if anyone is interested in one of the sets of build plans... let me know. Happy to gift it. I will keep the materials as backup in case I screw one up in the build process. But I do not need two set of plans.

The reward for the time invested is NOT the tool. It's the experience you are investing your time into. The skill to make something like that comes from figuring out how to make something like that. When you are done, you will no longer need to use that as a reason not to.

Most of us here are self-taught, and even the careerists have to learn the confidence and competence on the long road, and elected to arm themselves with knowledge. Not many people are trained in a classroom or with the patient watchful eye of a wise man years beyond his rational retirement date to watch over their shoulder, instead we crack our knuckles, grab a pencil, and try to work it out. It's not really about the finished part that's gained when making tooling, is it?

Weekly Costco run; they had these on sale:

Koda Multi Shop Lights.jpeg
Online they are a 2-pack for $61, s/h included. In the warehouse $30 for one (only "needed" one). They have a nice mounting system that allowed me to mount off-center to suit two joists:

20230921 New 4ft LED Annotated.jpeg

The new light is in the red box in the upper right corner. I now have four, 4' fixtures ringing the primary work area, and almost need a shade 5 to work on the "tall" bench where the new light lives. Overall lighting levels went up by a couple of hundred lux (now range from 850 – 950 lux in all work zones other than the tall bench is 1,600 lux).

Back