What Did You Get For Christmas?

Thanks Santa (Coolidge waves goodbye to Santa)...pics tomorrow!

hemi.jpg

hemi.jpg

well here is my christmas present , i probably shouldn't have bought it i surely could have better spent the money elsewhere . but it was rather cheap
and i freely admit it ... i have a problem .

a swiss model 69-71 .41 caliber veterlli rifle ... it isnt in to bad a shape for being 140 odd years old , bore is still bright and shiny and except for the butt plate all the metal is rust and pit free . it should make a fine shooter .

first on the list will be to convert it from a rim fire to a center fire , a fairly simple operation . and then to make some cases for it . eventualy if i can round up the needed tooling i'd like to make a bullet mold for it .
if i feel ambitious enough to do the conversion this week i will start a thread .

anyhoo a couple pics

IMG_20141228_102006.jpgIMG_20141228_102000.jpg

IMG_20141228_102006.jpg IMG_20141228_102000.jpg

That is an interesting rifle. Don't think I've ever seen one before, and only heard the name once or twice.

It looks like it'll definitely reach out and touch something. I'm interested to see the conversion and see a video of it firing. I'm dang interested in how accurate it is.

I suppose it is a vintage, import "High Velocity Remote Hole Punch." :lmao:

the veterlli was the first issued bolt action repeating military rifle , tube fed with an elevator borrowed from a henry rifle , quite advanced for its time .
original ammo was black powder of course , it used a heeled bullet ( think .22) that weighed 330 grains and i think the velocity was around 1300 fps .

a pretty neat old rifle , i wont say they are all that rare or uncommon as the swiss made a bunch of them and you could still get the rimfire ammo up till about the late 1940's .... converting the bolt is rather simple and making cases is a bit of work but not overly complicated .

i dug threw my cartridge collection and i happened to actually have an original round , here it is next to a 45-70 as a comparison

IMG_20141228_151415.jpg

IMG_20141228_151415.jpg

Congratulations on the Vertelli !!!
:thumbzup3:

i have not filled that slot, yet.

mike:))

Wow Ulma I missed that. Thats freaking awesome. For 250 bucks, shoot I'd buy it just to look at. Any work is just gravy on the taters.

Not really machinist related, but ...
I got a Dell venue pro 8 tablet so I can watch machinist videos and surf in any wi-fi environment.

Back