What Is This Thing I Found?

Believe me I know. And it only goes bad no matter if it's supposedly good natured ribbing. The fact it is done remote has a lot to do why so much of the net forums are rough and can be nasty. If you said some of the stuff even without alcohol involved you'd get poked in the nose if you were face to face. Bottom line its impossible to pick up intentions without body language.

I've participated in online communities since the BBS days. There's never a reason to disrespect people for where they live, how they dress, the car they drive, etc. Putting a smiley face after a rude or disparaging comment doesn't change it into humor.

The rules of this particular forum are right on top when you enter, I read them, agree with them, and support the moderators and forum owner in whatever actions they need to take to keep it as designed. Asking others to follow the rules isn't the same as not having a sense of humor. I live in a place now where many people have no problem telling me how bad the place I am from is. So, I take it personally when people start bashing California, even folks who are from there.

There are plenty of places on the internet where you can disparage other's hometown, dress, sexuality, religion, race, occupation, or anything else that makes you feel superior to them. This one isn't like that in my and I really appreciate it.

If you can't behave in the manner your grandmother expected at least read and follow the rules posted here.

Cheers,

John

Well, I apologize if I hurt anybodys ego, personality, lively hood, or what ever it is I hurt. I think the vast majority took it as well natured kidding, the same as done between the 5 branches of the military, or college grads. None are done as personal , or any serious type of attack, but more as a conversation starter, or tension breaker. To be honest, I have never lived in Ca, only passing through several times. I drove truck on the East coast for 30 plus years, and prefer not to visit or live in any big city anymore. Thats me, I certainly do not look down an those that love the big city life.

I guess I missed the section in the rules that says machinist only discussions. I thought the intentions were to be family like, not shop only discussions. We certainly allow bullying and false info when it comes to machines, especially round column mills, all in one machines, and some Chinese toys machines.

I'll go sit in the corner, until my time out is over.

It's a petrified ice cream cone...
and Qualtrex ultrasonic cleaners are excellent, that's a keeper!

Tim

All I can say about the whole "Southern California" situation is the theory my brother put forth after spending a few months there in the '80's-
"There are NO bad drivers in SoCal. They all died in traffic accidents!"

We certainly allow bullying and false info when it comes to machines, especially round column mills, all in one machines, and some Chinese toys machines.

I'll go sit in the corner, until my time out is over.
Yes, I totally agree. There are greener pastures out there! You can lead a horse to water, BUT the horse may not drink it. It’s also about the money and how involved the person(s) wants to be in the Hobby Shop world. Sooooo, maybe the reason for the huge assortment of machines from JUNK (lots of it!) to treasures. And you have “internet authors” that love to type and are invisible to the world, so they say whatever they want to with no recourse…Dave

Thanks guys. I will take proper pics of it to post on Ebay. I have no idea the demand for acorn die holders though. I will google those things later since I am now sitting at a private school in the woods, waiting to view a beautiful South Bend heavy ten with the works for tooling and pristine matching metal cabinet bench....at a steal of a price. If I buy it, I'll be selling my South Bend 9A, and may sell the taper attachment separately. I will also be selling my Benchmaster horizontal mill. So, if I buy this lathe, feel free to private message me if you want to buy the South Bend 9A or the Benchmaster

At last, it's determined to be something, lol!
Credit where credit's due ... benmychree and 4ssss identified it. All I contributed was posting the result of a web search, based on what they'd said.

Last edited:
Back