What job did you do today in your shop?

Dual readout.

One side to each side of the electric ball valve

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Got a chance to try out the newly installed tracks with some snowtime fun:

B357B9BA-4431-4D62-BB45-20ABA62C34C9.jpeg

was out bombing around a few local trails when my phone rang. Sure enough, a couple friends of mine had thier quads stuck bad and everyone they called couldn’t even get to them, let alone do a recovery.

30 min ride and I’m looking at two quads down a bank and half buried in snow. 10 mins later, one is back on the trail and ready to go.

The other had a busted lower A arm (and a separated cv joint) and wasn’t going anywhere under its own power. So I hook up to it, we climb into the Argo and I drag it a couple miles back to a spot where they can at least load it on a trailer.

Dragging the busted quad didn’t even slow the argo down.…I probably could have dragged that quad upside down and still not made a difference. The Argo is an unstoppable little (plastic) tank.

It’s only got a little opposed 18hp Kohler twin, but the gearing is so low nothing seems to even slow it down. Flip side of that is it tops out around 12-15 mph. Ya just gotta relax, enjoy the ride and realize that where this thing is taking you, nothing else can follow.

I recover quads so often in this rig, I’m considering a rear mounted winch and a removable A frame lift for the rear. Not sure why my guys can’t dial it back (even just a smidge) on their quads and not wreck them all the time. It often seems one of my friends busts a quad in the back woods once a week…and guess who always geta a phone call…..

One sucky thing though was I got “bull whipped” right across both eyes. I was cruising along and didn’t have my snow googles on. Didn’t see a low thin branch and when it came off the windshield, it was at just the right height to whack me in the eye balls. Took a couple minutes of sitting before I could even open them, let alone move. Now I’ve got a bloody spot and a nice raised welt line across the rh side of my forehead.

After all these years you would think I’d learn my lesson to always wear protective gear, even if its just going across the street.

But nooooo.

I still have to have the occasional stupid moment to remind me; ATGATT (all the gear, all the time).

Funny thing is: all this snow will be gone in about two days. Calling for plus temps and rain starting monday and going until friday…then I’ll probably be pulling quads out of mud holes. Crazy winter this year.

Last edited:
Perhaps your friends would help crowd source the a frame lift. After all, they are the ones that would benefit the most.
Ancient History: Central Virginia during the President’s Day Weekend Blizzard of 1983 my Electrical Designer gave me a ride to work in his 20 year old run of the mill pickup. When work shutdown at Noon, we headed home and had to rescue four Big-Wheel Lifted pickups who ran off the road.

Perhaps your friends would help crowd source the a frame lift. After all, they are the ones that would benefit the most.
Nah, couple hours in the garage with some aluminum tube and the tig and its done. I’d probably also use it myself for things like dragging and moving logs around.

Come to think of it, it might be useful in raising and lowering the outboard as well. I’ve been using a johnson 2 hp, but also have a 9hp in the garage on the rack (for my 12’ aluminum). The 9hp is a little bit of a struggle to raise and lower (significantly heavier than the 2 hp 2 stroke) when you have to reach out to move it, so a winch with an A frame might come in handy witha bigger outboard. Won’t go any faster with a bigger outboard, but it would be nice if the argo engine and the outboard both ran on straight gas rather than one in premix.

You also have to be careful dragging stuff behind an argo. Because it’s skid steer, it pivots in the center, not over the rear wheels. That means every time you turn, the back end swings opposite the direction of turn. That means whatever is on the back also swings sideways pretty quick, which can lead to problems on a tight trail…

Last edited:
This was over the last two weekends but I finished it today.
I wasn't shooting for a restoration, more of a restomod for a daily user. My Reed 406 was in dire need of a refresh.

The swivel base had a wicked warp from a previous repair. I took .040" off of the top and bottom to get it flat. No pics but I made a bronze washer .082" thick to take up the slack in the screw.
IMG_8198.JPG

Opened up the bore and faced the inside and outside while it was set up in the mill.
IMG_8153.jpeg

I forgot to get a picture of the bronze bushing/bearing cup before I pressed it in, you guys know how that goes. I brazed the loose meatball to the screw and bored it for a bronze bushing. I drilled and tapped the nose for a setscrew and a Delrin friction button as well as cutting a groove for an O-ring. Machined a new shaft collar for a thrust bearing and drilled new pockets to the screw for a slight preload. I did reuse the original balls on a new 1144 handle.
IMG_8202.jpg

Brazing the balls on
IMG_8199.JPG

The jaws were nowhere near flat, so I machined off the the worn out serrations.
IMG_8194.JPG

Flattening the top.
Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 5.25.04 PM.png
I also replaced a missing button on the swivel lock handle. I cant believe it was still with the vise! I had reamed the taper and made a pin a few years ago.
IMG_8205.JPG

One of these days I will machine serrations back into the cast in jaws, but I'll wait until inspiration hits or I get tired of things slipping. While I was in there I also shimmed the nut dovetail, it was really sloppy. Now, if I could only do something about the .025" slop in the slide it would be perfect!

The worst part of something like this, the set up time is crazy! Just the time spent pondering how not to ruin something and triple checking every hold down bolt adds up. I probably have close to 40 hours in this not including the taper pin.

well completed the 5hp RPC and building the 1ohp, the 5 runs my hydraulic workstation with very little noise, it is 3hp 3500 psi
the 5 has only 2x 20fd caps and a 350 start cap the red one is the 5 1450 4 pole the 10 is 2900 2 pole, which cost a 100, we'll see tomorrow
the 10 i mounted on 16mm plate hadda change to my 20 inch 4 jaw which prob weighs 180lbs

Attachments

• 5hp.jpg
    5hp.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 10hp.jpg
    10hp.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 9
Back