What job did you do today in your shop?

There’s loft space above so code requires 5/8” Sheetrock if I ever want to make it finished space. I don’t currently have any plan to, but…

My reason for finishing the ceiling is that I lose a lot of heat from the first floor. The whole building is well insulated, I’m just hoping to contain the warm air where I’m working. As much as is realistic, at least.

Made a second "crazy wheel" for a First Robotics swerve drive.
Bolt it on and that wheel can be totally dead, but the bot will still drive!
2b94427ffee501d1b3a99b8ef5bcb660.jpg

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

There’s loft space above so code requires 5/8” Sheetrock if I ever want to make it finished space. I don’t currently have any plan to, but…

My reason for finishing the ceiling is that I lose a lot of heat from the first floor. The whole building is well insulated, I’m just hoping to contain the warm air where I’m working. As much as is realistic, at least.

I know you said the whole building is well insulated but have you considered adding some before the Sheetrock? Only you can determine if the ROI is there.

5/8 rock isn't much fun, good on your wife for helping.

I had a rather large worm gear in my pile of invaluable junk. It was powered by an 80V DC motor with a worm gear. I wanted to see if I could accomplish more precision so I took out the motor and mounted a NEMA 23 with a 4.25:1 planetary gearbox with a custom bracket. I now have precision control and I'm lovin' it. Next up, what to do with it?

Attachments

• 20231219_163002.jpg
    20231219_163002.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 61vMsLNmDGL._AC_SL1300_.jpg
    61vMsLNmDGL._AC_SL1300_.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20231219_163018.jpg
    20231219_163018.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 18
I had a rather large worm gear in my pile of invaluable junk. It was powered by an 80V DC motor with a worm gear. I wanted to see if I could accomplish more precision so I took out the motor and mounted a NEMA 23 with a 4.25:1 planetary gearbox with a custom bracket. I now have precision control and I'm lovin' it. Next up, what to do with it?
???
you mean you went through modifying this, with no purpose?
Ok, for the first time, I get to repeat what a friend (machinist) tells me when I show him some of the things I've done... "You've got a lot of time on your hands"....

So how is it more precision? More than what?

???
you mean you went through modifying this, with no purpose?
Ok, for the first time, I get to repeat what a friend (machinist) tells me when I show him some of the things I've done... "You've got a lot of time on your hands"....

So how is it more precision? More than what?
I loved your response. I say this with the utmost kindness. A guy (you) goes on the website Hobby Machinist and let me emphasize the word HOBBY and makes a 54-word comment on what some other guy did in his shop today which was his seven thousand, three hundred and thirty-fifth message on the website HOBBY MACHINIST to suggest "I have too much time on my hands."

AWESOME DUDE!

Well the truth be known, I do have too much time on my hands so I found this Hobby where I can do stuff I always wanted to see if I could do. Now I am doing it. I write about what I do and people read it and post comments. I submit articles that get on the cover of magazines (attached). It is great!

Back to the subject at hand: The old motor was forward and reverse at a respectable rate. Now I have 1 step on the stepper = .95 seconds of arc or 1/60 of a minute of arc or 1/3600 of 1 degree of arc. Now I have, in theory, 1-second accuracy in a rotating device that can potentially carry many (hundred) pounds. Now I have something useful. I can make a rotary welding table, a telescope mount (which I am leaning toward), a base for a post to track the sun with a solar panel and that is just the start....

Great to make your acquaintance, Woodchucker!
Keep the posts coming.

Attachments

• Digital Machinist covers7.jpg
    Digital Machinist covers7.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 15
Most all of us do that kind of stuff, just for the learning, for the fun, for the need. You'll find some interesting projects here. One that I found interesting is @Stantor trying to cut up an old forklift, so he made a diamond wire cutter to cut through the heavy, heavy castings. That was an amazing project.

Not all succeed, some are just way interesting.. failures always (or should always) bring knowledge. Success should always bring satisfaction (but not always).

Great to make your acquaintance too.

Whiled away some time standing by the lathe to see if anything turned up but nothing did, so I machined these bolts up.

They are replacements for the factory bolts for Sissybar clamps on a mark-one (1970 - 1972) or mark-two (1972 - 1983) Raleigh Chopper.
(The 1968-1970 sissybar clamp bolts were somewhat different!)

Machined away the excess threads, machine the head down to size, then use the radius tool to put a slight round on the edge of the head.

If you look at the three bolts on the RHS of the photo below, you will see, top to bottom:

1) The initial carriage bolt.
2) A test machining (undersized head, too many threads removed
3) A factory original (bent) Sissybar clamp bolt.

431528086_371025765899590_5310734379623109487_n.jpg

Back