What kind of alcohol is this

All the Purell stuff in here is 70% Mike .

Have a look at this setup/still. Plus, this youtube channel is "Tech Ingredients" generally pretty great.
Tech Ingredients-Whiskey

Last edited:
Unfortunately there have been some in the past that actually have tried to drink it. In 1980 after the Mariel boatlift from Cuba a large number of refugees were housed at Camp McCoy in central Wisconsin. One morning the authorities found several men in various stages of trauma. A couple were dead, and others were near death. It seems they had broken to a warehouse and found what they thought was alcohol. They opened bottles and drank their fill. In reality what they thought was grain alcohol was actually antifreeze.
Antifreeze, the ethylene glycol type, is deadly. I lost a good hunting beagle to it after she drank about a teaspoonful. It attacks the liver. OTOH, deaths from drinking methanol were fairly common during prohibition.

Good thing I stocked up but it wasn't for the purpose of making hand sanitizer. They banned the sale of denatured alcohol here in CA last year. Somehow I ended up with 25 gals. :D

View attachment 316672
I believe that the various recipies for denaturing ethanol are register with the federal government. The square carboys of 190 proof have the A1 -190 formulation of: ethanol (Ethyl alcohol, grain alcohol), 85%; 2-propanol (isopropyl alcohol), 9%; methanol (methyl alcohol, wood alcohol) 4%, and methyl isobutyl ketone, 1%.

I tried
Good thing I stocked up but it wasn't for the purpose of making hand sanitizer. They banned the sale of denatured alcohol here in CA last year. Somehow I ended up with 25 gals. :D

View attachment 316672
I went to buy some last week (denatured alcohol) I found some in rusty metal one gallon containers. No thanks.
Good old California

Just as the hand sanitizer hoarding hit, I went down the aisle at Kroger's and they had shelves full of ISO @70% - grabbed (4) bottles.
-=-
Has anyone else caught the news clips of the small distilleries that are making hand sanitizer and giving it away?
One distiller back east here started doing that and ran out of bottles, and some lady who had closed up her business a couple of years ago had multiple cases of bottles left over in storage and donated them to the effort.
+1 to them!

Yep, Several distilleries in central Texas are now making hand sanitizer and have the governments' blessing and approval to do so. They have started off with 500 gallon batches and are gearing up for more. They plan to furnish EMS and law enforcement to start with.

Based on the MSDS< it appears to be a mixture of methanol (wood alcohol) and ethenol. The concentration does not appear to be enough to use as a sanitizer. Also, don't drink it. Can cause blindness or death, blindness then death, just death. Death will ruin your whole day.

"64-17-5 Ethyl alcohol {Ethanol} 30.0 -50.0 %
67-56-1 Methanol {Methyl alcohol; Carbinol; Wood alcohol} 40.0 -60.0 %"
But you MAY want to use it if you contract the virus....J/k...don't use it. I was reading a virus thread, it was interesting seeing people laughing it off/joking, but the more you read that slowly changed. I got through 2/3rds of it, came back and the thread was gone...what happened to it?

It went poof because of a number of inappropriate posts.
Bummer...it was an interesting development of the timeline. I must have thick skin, I didn't notice any...but I didn't get to last page or 2. Thanks Dark.

Back